Honored Contributor

Re: Oscars/Food = Vegan/PB..ish💚🌿

@MoJoV wrote:

I aspire to be vegan but usually fail after awhile. I have been vegetarian for decades. It's not about health to me it's a moral thing. It's my belief and I've a right to it.  I think everyone does. I don't understand the suble hostility against vegans and to a lesser degree vegetarianism.

The menu sounds delicious .

I think they're against it becoming more mainstream. Vegetarianism/veganism upsets the hierarchy of man over animal. They see it as moral to control and harm animals at will, and not to grant animals any particular rights or consideration

When you grant an animal special consideration by refusing to eat it, and these folks find out about it, that bumps up against their morals and values and it bothers them.

If vegetarianism becomes even more popular, they will have those morals bumped up against more often and they don't want to deal with the hassle. I mean, who wants to deal with more hassle? Better to try to head it off if you can.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@morganjen wrote:
What is a HoHo?

A chocolate relation to the Twinkie.   We had a neighbor who baked hoho cakes but my mother threw them out when she brought them over because she was a smoker.

Honored Contributor

I finally tried a Beyond burger yesterday and it was delicious.  I am not a big meat eater and my sister and niece are vegans.  I see nothing wrong with having the choice of plant food as it is called and there is certainly room for options in our diet.  My only regret is that I didn't stop eating meat much sooner but I didn't have it often.

Here's to everyone's good health and as they say everything in moderation.

Esteemed Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

I aspire to be vegan but usually fail after awhile. I have been vegetarian for decades. It's not about health to me it's a moral thing. It's my belief and I've a right to it.  I think everyone does. I don't understand the suble hostility against vegans and to a lesser degree vegetarianism.

Your choice makes you no better or worse that anyone else.  That point is difficult for some to understand.

@CrazyDaisy  I certainly agree I'm no better nor worse than anyone else.  Never said I was.

I apologize if you thought I was referring to you specifically, it was a general observation of how conversations about this topic goes on these boards.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@qbetzforreal And there was the actress on the red carpet that opened her purse to show her turkey sandwich hidden there lol.

Honored Contributor

@chlema wrote:

@qbetzforreal And there was the actress on the red carpet that opened her purse to show her turkey sandwich hidden there lol.

I wish I'd seen that.  LOL    Although I thought the vegan or vegetarian only menu was at a luncheon, not the Oscar's dinner itself.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree  I never said there was hostility in the thread because I don't think there is.  I have noticed subtle hostility toward veganism at various times in my life if you haven't good for you. No need to school me. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chlema wrote:

I wish I'd seen that.  LOL    Although I thought the vegan or vegetarian only menu was at a luncheon, not the Oscar's dinner itself.  

@chrystaltree @chlema 

The actress was 10 year old Julia Butters.

Perfectly understandable that the menu might have been a little sophisticated for a kid, vegan or not. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

An Award dinner is not about healthy choices.

There would be unhealthy, decadent choices even if it was meat-based. 

That's not the focus.

This is more of a focus on the ethical & environmental aspects 

of veganism/plant based meals.

@sidsmom What it is, is disrespecting different beliefs and choices, and disregarding and insulting people who don't hold the same beliefs and ideas that you do.

What if I invited you to dinner and served you a big old rare steak, some meatballs, and a slab of ribs and nothing else?  What would that say about my respect for you?  

It's just an example of tolerance that so many people have these days.

The dinner menu was a focus on the need for change for the 

environment and to the ethical treatment of animals.

The tolerance isn't about us...it's about the animals being 

needlessly killed for no reason. If one doesn't understand kindness

to sentient beings, then you will never understand it. 
A paradigm shift is in motion....whether you understand this or not.

Like I said upthread kind is the goal, in this case.

As Joaquin Phoenix said in his acceptance speech last night

(speaking of his brother, River):

When he was 17, my brother wrote this lyric. It said,
"Run to the rescue with love, and peace will follow"

🌼

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MoJoV wrote:

@MoJoV 

I agree about the subtle hostility.  I experienced it when I ate a strictly vegan diet.  I was asked by people who happened to notice I wasn't eating any meat "Why don't you eat meat?"  And it wasn't out of curiosity, it was confrontational, even while I was minding my own business and not making an "issue" out of it.  The questioners wanted me to justify what I was (or wasn't) eating.

I do find it rude and obnoxious when people tell other people how they should eat if the telling is unsolicitied.  Hey, if you ask me how I think you or I should eat, I'll tell you.  If you're curious about what I eat and why, you can ask and I'll tell you. I don't get in anyone's face and I don't like it if they get in mine.

What I DON't mind is people sticking up for animals. They need a voice as they have none.  So people can defend animals all day long and I'm good with that.  I applaud that actually.  How anyone can look the other way regarding animal cruelty is beyond my understanding.  Or, rather, I guess I understand it but I find it unacceptable.