Honored Contributor

Re: Oscars/Food = Vegan/PB..ish💚🌿

Vegan food is all very well and good but unfortunately its followers are often cult like and is a real turn off for me. Maybe expressing the message with less militancy  would help. Sure, a vegan meal at the Oscars would be fun but it shouldn't be the only choice out of respect for different food preferences.

There is a YouTube channel I came across recently about the deterioration of vegans health. It was scary seeing how some take it to the extreme and it is really orthorexia in disguise.

Live and let live is my motto. I would not expect anyone to eat the way I do and telling anyone how they should eat is really crass.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'd arrive with a couple of McD's cheeseburger in my bag.  That would be my dinner but I would eat the dessert, that looks good.  Everything is political with that Hollywood crowd even a celebratory luncheon.  I respect people who choose to eat vegan or plant based now let them respect those of us who choose not to eat like that.  

It's not 'political'. Never has been. 

It was primarily for environmental & ethical reasons.

Being kind is the goal, in this case.

As Joaquin Phoenix said in his acceptance speech last night

(speaking of his brother, River):

When he was 17, my brother wrote this lyric. It said,
"Run to the rescue with love, and peace will follow"

🌼

LOL   Yes, it was about kindness  LOL    Perhaps I missed it but they weren't  being very kind to people who like a good steak or a chicken breast.  

Esteemed Contributor

This thread seems to be veering onto the same ol' Hatfield vs McCoy, Right Twix vs Left Twix, Tortortise vs Hare road.

While the Oscar luncheon was plant based, the dinner prepared by Wolfgang Puck was mixture of everything, meat, seafood, fish, veggies and my favorite part of a meal (the most important part) dessert!

Esteemed Contributor

I aspire to be vegan but usually fail after awhile. I have been vegetarian for decades. It's not about health to me it's a moral thing. It's my belief and I've a right to it.  I think everyone does. I don't understand the suble hostility against vegans and to a lesser degree vegetarianism.

The menu sounds delicious .

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

I aspire to be vegan but usually fail after awhile. I have been vegetarian for decades. It's not about health to me it's a moral thing. It's my belief and I've a right to it.  I think everyone does. I don't understand the suble hostility against vegans and to a lesser degree vegetarianism.

Your choice makes you no better or worse that anyone else.  That point is difficult for some to understand.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

What is a HoHo?
Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

Your choice makes you no better or worse that anyone else.  That point is difficult for some to understand.

@CrazyDaisy  I certainly agree I'm no better nor worse than anyone else.  Never said I was.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom. That was a lovely sentiment from River but not the appropriate time or place to deliver it.
Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

I read the thread and there was no subtle or overt hostility toward vegans.  We only discussing a menu that deliberately chose to exclude non vegans and non vegetarians.  It was an odd, inhospitable thing to do.  I've been to a couple vegan/vegetarian friendly functions and weddings but I've never been to one that did not include everyone.  When you give a function, you want everyone to have a good time and a good meal but apparently not at that particular luncheon.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

An Award dinner is not about healthy choices.

There would be unhealthy, decadent choices even if it was meat-based. 

That's not the focus.

This is more of a focus on the ethical & environmental aspects 

of veganism/plant based meals.

@sidsmom What it is, is disrespecting different beliefs and choices, and disregarding and insulting people who don't hold the same beliefs and ideas that you do.

What if I invited you to dinner and served you a big old rare steak, some meatballs, and a slab of ribs and nothing else?  What would that say about my respect for you?  

It's just an example of tolerance that so many people have these days.