Trusted Contributor

Re: Oscar's 2022, Was this for real?

@KingstonsMom wrote:

TMZ has several clips of this 'incident' at the Oscars and includes some still photos.

I watched several different videos and it sure appeared to me that Chris threw his head dramatically to the side during the open handed slap by Will.

Check out the gallery of still photos and in #11, after the slap, both Will and Chris appear to be smiling as Will leaves the stage.

It sure looks to me like a 'planned' action by both of them.

As they say, there's no such thing as 'bad' publicity with egomaniacs like the Hollywood crowd.

Will Smith Smacks Chris Rock Over Jada Joke at the Oscars (tmz.com)

Yes I see the smug looks on both their faces; either way, it was a pathetic stunt.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Dog wrote:

A gentleman should not have to use his hands to get a point across.

NO ONE should have to use their hands to get a point across. No one. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Remember Don Rickles? I guess he'd be out of a job today.

Respected Contributor

Low class loser move. And the fact that he won an Oscar will never change that.  

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

Remember Don Rickles? I guess he'd be out of a job today.

Or repeatedly battered.  🤦‍♀️

Super Contributor

Will Smith could of had a shining moment giving his acceptance speech.  When he was on stage accepting the award, all I kept thinking about was what happened earlier.

Respected Contributor

My opinion was that Will Smith wanted to draw attention to himself.  Chris Rock probably did not see anything wrong with the joke and if this had not happened,  I would not have even thought about it.   If Will was offended for his wife then he could have said something in an interview asking that Chris apologize to his wife.  If a bald head bothers Jada she could wear a wig like so many others do. 

If I could look as beautiful as she does I would shave my head.    

Respected Contributor

I have the news on in the backround. The story has been reported all morning! I didn't like the joke...

Actor Will Smith smacked Oscars presenter Chris Rock in the face after taking offense at a joke made by the latter which referenced the hairstyle of his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, at the 94th Academy Awards on Sunday.

The joke was in reference to the 1997 film G.I. Jane, a role that actress Demi Moore famously shaved her head for.  

At that point, the camera turned to Smith, who at first was seen visibly laughing at the gag and even clapped his hands, a gesture that seemed to suggest he saw the funny side. 

But as Smith laughed while still seated, Pinkett Smith - who has been open about her struggle with hair loss and alopecia - visibly rolled her eyes, looking furious. 

Laughs: At this point, Will was seen laughing at the joke and did not seem offended

Stony-faced: However, Will's wife Jada - who has been open about her hair loss and struggle with alopecia - began to roll her eyes

Not amused: Jada, 50, continued to roll her eyes but Will, 53, was still laughing and even clapped his hands at the remark

Not amused: Jada, 50, continued to roll her eyes but Will, 53, was still laughing and even clapped his hands at the remark.

Making his way: Will jumped up on the stage in a brisk manner heading straight towards Chris

Making his way: Will jumped up on the stage in a brisk manner heading straight towards Chris.

In footage that had been uncensored, Smith was heard saying: 'Keep my wife's name out your f***king mouth.'

Will Smith Punches Chris Rock Over Jada Pinkett Joke at 2022 Oscars –  SheKnows

After what seemed at first to be a scripted confrontation, the mood quickly turned somber when Smith returned to his seat and shouted back: "Keep my wife's name out of your f***ing mouth."

Oscars 2022: Will Smith Punches Chris Rock Over Joke About Jada Pinkett  Smith

Stars around Smith began to realise what they had just witness was real. 

Reports indicated that a visibly upset Smith had to be "pulled aside and comforted" by actors Denzel Washington and Tyler Perry during a commercial break, while Bradley Cooper could also be seen speaking with the "Men in Black" actor.

"Will and Chris, we're going to solve that like family. Right now we're moving on with love," said Sean "Diddy" Combs, as he presented the next section of the ceremony.

Up until the altercation between the two stars, the show had been running fairly smoothly.

After the incident: Will and Jada hold hands as his name is called out for his Best Actor win

After the incident: Will and Jada hold hands as his name is called out for his Best Actor win

Oscars 2022: Will Smith hits Chris Rock mid-ceremony | News | DW | 28.03. 2022

Esteemed Contributor

Didn't see it couldn't care less about the Oscar program, but can't click on the internet this morning without being inundated with reports about it, so I've read the summary and seen the slap.  My opinion is comedy is SUPPOSED to be EDGY and maybe a bit UNCOMFORTABLE sometimes.  It's comedy. 

I'll accept that Mrs. Smith has a medical condition and perhaps Rock should have skipped that part f the joke.  I don't want to see comedians handcuffed, but jokes about medical conditions and people's children should be off limits.  Having said that, I do think that Hollywood has reached the point where comedy has been ruined.  It's just fine if a comedian or some arrogant bleep making a righteous acceptance speech or sitting on a late-night show couch can make nasty personal cracks about people and things that are not on their lefty viewpoint side with no repercussion, but people who share the group think viewpoint and their pet social causes are taboo off limits to be laughed at for any reason. 

Respected Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:
And people wonder why respect is lacking in our society.

@JaneMarple --  Exactly.  I do not find any "comedy" shows today funny.  The writers are all doing rude and degrogatory content.  This is all young people hear anymore and they think it's OK.