Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oscar's 2022, Was this for real?

@Free2be 

@Free2be wrote:

Will Smith is claiming that smacking Chris Rock was an act of love for his family but to me it was a lack of self control combined with an opportunity to create drama.  It was ugly and I'm surprised that Smith is receiving as much support as he is for acting out violently for the world to see over a comedian's joke that everyone would have forgotten 5 minutes after.

I agree.  I don,t care for Smith, but I don,t think he would have done it, but he has a very controlling women and I think did it because of fear of her, not the joke.  She might be nice, but from some of the things she has said, I don,t think so and he has to go home with her.

His speech was about love, but he didn,t practise it.  Didn,t make sense.

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

So, let's just go around hitting and/or slapping everyone who insults us. Wow, that's grown up and and leading your family...not  🤦‍♀️

i wonder if Chris Rock will sue Will Smith for assault?  

No, they reported he wasn,t pressing charges.

Then Smith gets up and gives a speech about love.  Hypocrite.

He,s afraid of his wife, that,s why he did that.  She is nasty.

Honored Contributor

They are ACTORS...and sure got a publicity bonanza out of that...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Read other outlooks on this and I think my comment was wrong now that I know more of the story.  

Honored Contributor

TMZ has several clips of this 'incident' at the Oscars and includes some still photos.

I watched several different videos and it sure appeared to me that Chris threw his head dramatically to the side during the open handed slap by Will.

Check out the gallery of still photos and in #11, after the slap, both Will and Chris appear to be smiling as Will leaves the stage.

It sure looks to me like a 'planned' action by both of them.

As they say, there's no such thing as 'bad' publicity with egomaniacs like the Hollywood crowd.

Will Smith Smacks Chris Rock Over Jada Joke at the Oscars (tmz.com)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Super Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Chris Rock made a joke about Jada being in GI Jane 2. She has alopecia.

I saw the uncensored version on Twitter. Will went on stage and took a swing or slap at him. He went back to his seat and yelled "keep my wife's name out of your ...mouth" twice. Rock said I will.

Will won for best actor, cried, said he was being protective, apologized to the academy, said he hoped they would invite him back.

He didn't apologize to Chris Rock. The whole thing was in poor and sad taste. Especially that apparently when Will Smith accepted his Oscar, he got a standing ovation... Really? After what he did? Unreal. Yes it was a tasteless joke. But being assaulted like that, not cool and definitely not fitting for the Oscars, wow.

Super Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

Will Smith is claiming that smacking Chris Rock was an act of love for his family but to me it was a lack of self control combined with an opportunity to create drama.  It was ugly and I'm surprised that Smith is receiving as much support as he is for acting out violently for the world to see over a comedian's joke that everyone would have forgotten 5 minutes after.

I totally agree. I heard that supposedly they might be taking his Oscar away, but doubt it. My husband said he heard that this morning on the news.

Honored Contributor

I didn't watch the award show because I don't watch any of them any more because they have ruined them because of turning them political and other reasons which I won't go into here because I don't want to get zapped!  Also, most of the actors are so full of themselves these days, it's sickening! 

And the slap of Will Smith on Chris Rock --- I feel it was staged!  Anything to get more attention!  I mean it if looked and seemed real and the reactions looked and seemed real --- well, they ARE actors!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

All I could think when I woke up to this today was how I left my 14 year old niece super excited to watch the show last night. She's a fairly successful child actress and a member of SAG and got advanced copies of movies to preview. This is her dream and the industry she wants to be a part of. 

A week before Thanksgiving, her father became violent in the home for the first time ever and attacked her and her mother. He's out and the divorce is imminent. This little girl has PTSD from being smacked around, finally has an event to look forward to with people she hopes to work with someday and sees violence once again all because someone couldn't brush off a bad joke.

I felt the same about the millions of refugees around the world who probably watched to put a long gone smile on their faces and one of the most privileged men in the world acts like that. He should have been put out of the building as any one of us would if we behaved atrociously in public. 

I can't even today when this is what passes for entertainment in any way. It's disgusting, heartbreaking, and we wonder why the kids give up so easily these days and decide not to be a part of this world anymore when for all they see it doesn't get better after all. 

Respected Contributor

I did not watch last night and this is the first I am hearing of it.

Glad I stopped watching the Oscars years ago.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward