Honored Contributor

Re: Oscar's 2022, Was this for real?

Rats, the one time I wasn't watching !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I saw Amy Schumer's opening talk and thought she did a good job.  After the first few awards, turned it off.  

Respected Contributor

It was real...the story I read stated Smith was upset about the joke Rock made because his wife has alopecia. What disgraceful behavior by Smith, with all the assaults going on everyday you'd think he'd have a clue.

Honored Contributor

There is other history between those two

https://www.justjared.com/2022/03/27/chris-rock-previously-made-fun-of-jada-pinkett-smith-at-2016-os...

As this article says Chris Rock also commented on Will Smith's relationship with his ex and said that Jada must be "a very understanding wife".
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

Chris Rock is one of my all time fav comedians.  When I saw Will Smith go up on stage, from the camera angle behind Smith, it looked like a fake punch, not like it made contact with Rock's face, but since the camera was behind Smith, you couldn't tell for sure.

But then when Smith kept mouthing off and they bleeped a lot of it out, I thought, uh oh, maybe it was real.  Will Smith really lost control of himself.  He was the #1 pick to win for best actor, he had the best seats in the house for the program, he should have just shrugged it off or just gave Chris Rock the death stare.

Anyway, I enjoyed the show, esp. Amy Schumer.  She's hilarious and very likeable.  As far as I'm concerned, she could have hosted the whole thing by herself.  I usually like Wanda Sykes, but she wasn't very funny and I'm not sure who the other lady was.

I was sorry to see Liza Minelli in such sad shape.  I love her.  And Gaga was so gentle and nice with her, like she was with Tony Bennett with his problems.  Wow 50 years since Cabaret. 

Everytime I see Anthony Hopkins I can't help but think of Hannibal Lector and the Silence of the Lambs.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was watching as it took place.  Like Chris Rock, I thought Will Smith was mockingly "coming for him."  Was I ever surprised when Smith smacked Rock's face.  Probably not as surprised as Chris Rock, but I was stunned.

Like another poster here, I thought that we do not need to see a violent reaction to an admittedly disturbing and distressing moment for Will and Jada Pinkett Smith.  It would have been the mature thing to do if Will Smith had controlled his anger and approached Chris Rock at an after-party to discuss his grievance.

Smith had a right to be upset because he was hurt for his wife, but to publicly attack a comedian who probably did not know of Jada Pinkett Smith's ailment...  Not good form.  (I learned of her alopecia on a news report tonight.  Knew nothing about it.)

Smith looked bad in my estimation.  I'm sorry to say that.  Denzel Washington saved the night with his words to Smith and which Smith later quoted:  Be careful when you are at the top because that is when the devil will come for you.  Smith knew he was caught in the devil's snare for him.

Esteemed Contributor

Will Smith made a fool out of himself. Its that simple.

Respected Contributor

There's been a lot of gossip over the years about Will and Jada's marriage, even though they both are pretty low key.  I thought Jada looked beautiful.  I didn't see the incident with Chris Rock, but Will doesn't seem to be the type to go after someone without reason.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is the quote of Will Smith repeating the advice Denzel Washington gave him after the smackdown incident:

“Denzel (Washington) said to me, 'At the highest moment, be careful — that’s when the devil comes for you... ' "

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So, let's just go around hitting and/or slapping everyone who insults us. Wow, that's grown up and leading your family...not  🤦‍♀️

i wonder if Chris Rock will sue Will Smith for assault?