Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oscar's 2022, Was this for real?

Chris Rock should sue Will Smith and give the money to charity. Comedian

Jim Carrey said that he was sickened by the standing ovation for Smith

and that Rock should sue him for 200 million.

https://people.com/movies/jim-carrey-criticizes-hollywood-standing-ovation-for-will-smith-after-smac... 

Respected Contributor

Making fun of a bald lady is OK, right?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Burnsite wrote:

Making fun of a bald lady is OK, right?

@Burnsite   No, it's not but neither is striking a person out of anger. Two wrongs don't make a right. What if we all did that at people who made us angry?  

Honored Contributor

I don't believe Chris Rock meant it as an insult at all. He made a sensitive documentary called "Good Hair" in 2009, glorifying natural African American hair including bald or shorn and I haven't seen anything that would indicate he knew Jada had alopecia and that his wasn't her preferred style. 

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse, I agree and I'll add that Rock has done what all comedians, host, emcees do at award ceremonies. They pick someone close, front and center, and make a comment, a joke or somehow acknowledge them. It comes with sitting in prime real estate. You may not like or agree with what you hear, but for heaven's sake in front of a world wide mostly uncensored audience, shouldn't one try and act civilized?

Honored Contributor

Will Smith's behavior is being reviewed by the Academy.  It will be interesting to see what they decided, if anything.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Will Smith's behavior is being reviewed by the Academy.  It will be interesting to see what they decided, if anything.

I guarantee nothing will happen .... JMHO. 

Honored Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

@GenXmuse, I agree and I'll add that Rock has done what all comedians, host, emcees do at award ceremonies. They pick someone close, front and center, and make a comment, a joke or somehow acknowledge them. It comes with sitting in prime real estate. You may not like or agree with what you hear, but for heaven's sake in front of a world wide mostly uncensored audience, shouldn't one try and act civilized?

Shoekitty said.    ya think?

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Dog wrote:

Jaden Smith (Will's son) tweeted 

"And that's how we do it."

Not sure if he was talking about the Oscar win or the strike.

Had to have been the incident because he took it down 

Esteemed Contributor

I think this is partly Jada's fault.  If she truely meant what she said days before that she does not care what people think about her bald head, then good for her.  But she could also have a sense of humor about it.  In a way, the joke was a compliment that Jada would be awesome in a GI Jane movie.  She should have laughed along and let it go.  Seconds later it would have been forgotten.  I bet most people don't even know she has that condition and that she chose to shave her hair for other reasons.

Instead her husband likely saw the disgusted look on his face and made a very poor decision.  Now that is all that people will remember about this year's Oscars, and Will Smith will forever be remembered for it.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead