Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oscar's 2022, Was this for real?

@Ladybug724 

@Ladybug724 wrote:

Sadly, the entertainment world has been deteriorating over the past few years. Music award shows are unwatchable. Looks like the same thing is happening to the Oscars.

Maybe Chris Rock didn't know about Jada's medical condition. Look at Lupita. I don't know if she's still bald but she was, and she rocked it. Some people choose that style, so it's understandable if Chris thought it was a choice. Not everyone keeps up on what's happening with Jada Pinkett Smith. Anyway, people at the Oscars get roasted all the time. No one has ever punched anyone on stage because of it.

If Will was that upset about it, he should have restrained himself and waited until the show was over to approach Chris.

My opinion,  he laughed at first, then saw his wife,s face and he fears her, so he made a big deal defending her.  She appears to be a nasty person from other reports.  She refused to attend Oscars one year, because no black awards.  

Esteemed Contributor

I don't feel it was staged at all.  I think Chris Rock handled it well and just carried on.  As others stated he may  not have known about her condition.  Many women have shaved their heads for other reasons.  Frankly I don't think it was insulting at all and this is coming from someone who has been bald due to chemo.  Get a grip Will, it's not all about you and your family.  And my hat's off to Mr Denzel Washington, very clever line he said to Will after the whole incident.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw the whole thing live. I could see that it was for real. Chris Rock is a comedian. Maybe the Smiths were insulted. Maybe Chris Rock didn't know about alopecia. Maybe the joke was lousy. That's not the point. Just think about Don Rickles or Joan Rivers. How would it look if someone had come onstage and slapped them because they were offended. That is not acceptable behavior. And the F-bombs sailing around the world's airwaves made it even uglier. Remember, if Chris Rock wanted to press charges against Smith, he could have done so.

Esteemed Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

Will Smith is claiming that smacking Chris Rock was an act of love for his family but to me it was a lack of self control combined with an opportunity to create drama.  It was ugly and I'm surprised that Smith is receiving as much support as he is for acting out violently for the world to see over a comedian's joke that everyone would have forgotten 5 minutes after.

@Free2be Exactly.  I did not watch the show but saw the clip on the news this morning.  I happen to think Chris Rock is very funny.  It is not like Jada is the only one he ever makes jokes about.  I lost what little respect I had for Will Smith to begin with.  I had no idea that Jada has alopecia (sp).  Not knowing that ahead of time and seeing her bald, I would just assume she wanted to shave her head or it was for a movie roll.  She looks great that way.  It is not like she has cancer.  WS should apologize to Chris Rock, and frankly, not be invited back.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I wasn't interested (in watching the show).

Watched a couple of Monks and Magnums instead.

Love the bits of humor in most of the Magnum PI episodes.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The joke that Regina Hall made about their open marriage was far worse and in poor taste. Will Smith cannot hit a woman in public but was probably seething & took it out on Chris.

The fact that he got a standing ovation was embarrassing. Ms Universe title, even Olympic medals are taken away for rule violations. He clearly violated academy rules. There should be some consequence. Can anyone of us get away with no consequence for assaulting? 

Honored Contributor

For those who seem to be so sure that this event was real, watch this slow-motion video, as it happened, it's obviously not:

Eagle-eyed Oscar viewers insist moment Will Smith slapped Chris Rock was FAKE | Daily Mail Online

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

If I were a betting woman, I'd say it was real.

Smith laughed (heartily!) at the joke. 

Jada didn't. 

He had a knee jerk reaction and walked up to Chris Rock and slapped him.  He was wincing on his way back to his seat. 

And Rock was wincing and didn't have a one-liner to say if it was planned.  He was basically speechless. What he did say fell flat-- he would've had something quirky, embarrassing, snide to say for the sake of comedy.

I didn't watch the Oscars.  Only saw clips, slo mo and stills of the incident.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think it was fake. If it was staged for publicity I don't think bad attention is ever good publicity.

And I still won't watch the Oscars next year. This is the first time I haven't watched. There are so many awards shows. I get it-actors etc love to give and get awards. Totally oversaturated. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

KingstonsMom, with all due respect, I ask this question:  Why would someone who is most likely going to win the prize that is most coveted by movie actors (most movie critics said the Oscar was Will Smith's to lose) darken his bright victory with an act of uncontrolled rage?  I think Smith's fury was real and in the moment. This was certainly not a good look.

Instead of discussing Will Smith's victory today, we are debating his ugly smackdown of Chris Rock.  For me, that is a deplorable outcome.

ETA:  Just now I read something in the Daily Mail that Smith and Rock have have had a quiet feud going on for about five years because Rock has made jokes about Jada Pinkett Smith during this period.  I can understand that Mr. Smith reached a tipping point last night -- and he was in heightened nervous anticipation of an Oscar win and all the other stuff going on in the world -- but I still contend that we must control our anger and discuss our differences.  Sadly, between toddler antics shown in politics and video games, etc., the models seen most often these days are to strike back at someone who has upset you in some way.  The world is begging for renewed civility.  That is what I think.