Super Contributor

He put on quite an act in the courtroom..convulsing and crying. {#emotions_dlg.angry} He also put on quite a show at the murder scene, praying over her dying body and making deals with God to save her. What a psycho.

Honored Contributor
On 3/8/2014 Opurrra said:

He put on quite an act in the courtroom..convulsing and crying. {#emotions_dlg.angry} He also put on quite a show at the murder scene, praying over her dying body and making deals with God to save her. What a psycho.

Did you notice the dry eye cry? No runny nose either. COLD.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Super Contributor

Just speaking in general terms here, and not about this case specifically, a defendant really can't win when it comes to emotions inside the courtroom.

If the defendant is crying, he (or she) is seen as "putting on a show".

If they show no emotions, then they are "cold and calculated".

Just what is the right amount of emotion to show, if the defendant is truly heartbroken?

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Honored Contributor
On 3/8/2014 Ford1224 said:

Obviously he killed her. Why . . . and what was his intent . . . is the question the judge has to resolve. There are many nuances, it seems. I don't really know what to think about this case.

Ultimately I think that will be the crux of this case. The prosecution is presenting him a calculating, rage-filled murderer. His defense is presenting him as a scared homeowner who shot a would-be intruder.

Respected Contributor
If South Africa is anything like the USA, the quality of justice is based on your bank account. Also he is a well known celebrity so that assists the defense. Don't be so sure that a judge will make a better decision than a jury would. I would say it is tossup right now. If he lived in Florida, stand your ground would get him off the hook.
Honored Contributor
On 3/8/2014 Predsfan said:

Did you notice the dry eye cry? No runny nose either. COLD.

I didn't see it, but if that's what is was, that is not crying. When I cry, my face swells up, my eyes turn red, my nose runs, and I sob.

It's so often we see the "fake" crying on so many venues on TV now, even the real life ones. They are a dead giveaway to the guilty.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

I believe he will be given a lesser charge and perhaps only have to serve a few years in prison. Celebrity speaks volumes in some places in the world.

Respected Contributor

I saw the victim's mother on TV and she is on his side. She believes his story and supports him.

It really surprised me that the mother would support him and speak out on his behalf.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Honored Contributor
On 3/8/2014 Lion said:

I saw the victim's mother on TV and she is on his side. She believes his story and supports him.

It really surprised me that the mother would support him and speak out on his behalf.

I thought she said that she forgave him...not that she thinks he's innocent.

She said that nothing can bring her daughter back, she forgives him, but she would like answers.

She didn't say she BELIEVES his story...that's a big difference.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/reeva-steenkamp-mother-forgive-oscar-pistorius-killing-articl...

Valued Contributor
On 3/8/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:

I simply can't get around the fact that he left the bed and grabbed his gun from under the bed without ever checking first on the woman who he thought was lying next to him! That defies reason IMO. Wouldn't anyone's first reaction to a possible burglar (in the bathroom?) be to reach for your mate and warn them or at least check to see it's not them in the bathroom? Just can't get around that at all. And now the defense attorney is saying Oscar screams like a girl and that's what the neighbors heard! Hah! They asked his ex how he sounds when he yells and screams and she testified "He sounds like a man!"

Definitely think he'll be convicted.

Absolutely NOT making excuses for him, but if someone is there sometimes and sometimes they are not, could he have acted different , than if she were there every night, and sometimes when people are afraid their actions are not always what they would have been under different circumstances.