Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Why not research?  This is what posters will do and then post the answer.

Not sure what this is all about?

It's about religion.

Then why isn't "Shabbat Shalom?"  That refers to a religious observation as well.  Does this mean we cannot refer to a religion or that we cannot even mention one?  I thought the intent was no advocating or explaining religious concepts and beliefs.

Honored Contributor

My sister-in-law is Greek Orthodox.  But I think the Greek Orthodox Chrismas is December 25.  (Yes, I researched it first before commenting.)

Valued Contributor

Orthodox Christians in central and eastern Europe and other parts of the world celebrate Christmas on January 7.Always was and is.

Honored Contributor

@Mlsg wrote:

Orthodox Christians in central and eastern Europe and other parts of the world celebrate Christmas on January 7.Always was and is.

@Mlsg But that could fall not on a Sunday?  

Valued Contributor

Re: Orthodox Christmas

[ Edited ]

@traveler wrote:

Yes, it is January 7, 2021. I thought this would be a conversation starter for types of celebrations. Gotta say the hostility surprised me.

I have a friend who is Greek Orthodox and they changed Christmas to December 25 many years ago but others, i.e. Russian/Ukrainian Orthodox, etc. have stuck with the old world calendar and theJanuary date. We always kept the tree up until Orthodox Christmas. When I was little, Santa came on December 25 and St. Nicholas came in January.  My mother always held back a few gifts for under the tree until January when St. Nicholas came.   Thought I'd post something positive.  :heart:

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Mlsg wrote:

@Mlsg But that could fall not on a Sunday?  

Still. January 6 Christmas Eve, January 7 Christmas ( Rojdestvo, Rizdvo- Ukrainian)

Esteemed Contributor

@Melzie wrote:

@traveler wrote:

Yes, it is January 7, 2021. I thought this would be a conversation starter for types of celebrations. Gotta say the hostility surprised me.

I have a friend who is Greek Orthodox and they changed Christmas to December 25 many years ago but others, i.e. Russian/Ukrainian Orthodox, etc. have stuck with the old world calendar and theJanuary date. We always kept the tree up until Orthodox Christmas. When I was little, Santa came on December 25 and St. Nicholas came in January.  My mother always held back a few gifts for under the tree until January when St. Nicholas came.   Thought I'd post something positive.  :heart:

My mother was brought up Russian Orthodox, but became Roman Catholic when she married my father.  We always keep the tree up until after "Little Christmas", in January.  I didn't get any presents from St. Nick thoughWoman Frustrated!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

It's about religion.

Then why isn't "Shabbat Shalom?"  That refers to a religious observation as well.  Does this mean we cannot refer to a religion or that we cannot even mention one?  I thought the intent was no advocating or explaining religious concepts and beliefs.

@Sooner  I see nothing wrong with wishing any one a Peaceful Sabbath, or Kwanza, or any other observance celebrated. It's Christmas week so much like we wished others a Happy Hanukkah it's front and center. We are not advocating any  religion, just wishing our fellow man the best.  The Internet is a wonderful place to educate oneself on others cultures, observances etc if ones interest is peaked. We  are such a diverse country it behooves us to learn and respect all. Sorry if I got carried away, I wish nothing but love to everyone.

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

It's about religion.

@Sooner  I see nothing wrong with wishing any one a Peaceful Sabbath, or Kwanza, or any other observance celebrated. It's Christmas week so much like we wished others a Happy Hanukkah it's front and center. We are not advocating any  religion, just wishing our fellow man the best.  The Internet is a wonderful place to educate oneself on others cultures, observances etc if ones interest is peaked. We  are such a diverse country it behooves us to learn and respect all. Sorry if I got carried away, I wish nothing but love to everyone.

@mspatmac I agree.  That's why I raised the question.  Didn't see anything wrong with the OP's mention in itself.  

Honored Contributor

Are we all a bit cranky today? Jeez, please excuse us, @traveler :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland