Honored Contributor

Re: Orlando: Workplace rage incident

@software wrote:

@truffle wrote:

While I detest what he did, I also detest the snarky comments from his former employer that he was a disgruntled employee as if there was nothing more to the story. We will never know why he was fired...what infraction he committed, etc.    

Agree

There is much more to this story.

This is not the direction I would've predicted, but....

what infraction would justify a life?  5 of them.

Honored Contributor

I am armed but my employer has a rule no weapons in the office.

And while I don't carry a firearm into the office, I do have at least 2 weapons in my bag at all times.    In fact I recently got in trouble with a County Sheriff's deputy about my keyring, which looks like a cat but those ears will put out an eye.    He told me "don't you know that's a weapon?"   I said yes, y'all can't be everywhere, can you?

I refuse to be a victim, if & when I go down, it won't be without a fight.

@Kachina624

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I was out of pocket this morning...must have made the news 

rounds then.  CNN just now did a 20-second recap. 

I retract my 'blip' statement. 

Before starting this thread, I researched the term

'going postal' to signify workplace rage.

Does everyone remember that Oklahoma post office incident?

Living in Oklahoma at the time I certainly remember this post office shooting incident and the term "going postal" it generated.  Unfortunately we have too many of these workplace incidents now. 

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@software wrote:

@truffle wrote:

While I detest what he did, I also detest the snarky comments from his former employer that he was a disgruntled employee as if there was nothing more to the story. We will never know why he was fired...what infraction he committed, etc.    

Agree

There is much more to this story.

This is not the direction I would've predicted, but....

what infraction would justify a life?  5 of them.

Nothing justifies what he did. There is more to the story however. 

Honored Contributor

Image result for sending prayers images

Honored Contributor

Years ago, we heard most often the incidents from our own locality.  For me, that's enough to deal with most of the time.  Being fed every incident from all over makes the world feel even less safe than it actually is, and I don't feel safer knowing what happened in Orlando when I'm 1000 miles away.  Sometimes it's just better not to know - as long as what's going on doesn't change where I can go should I want to go.

I'm well aware that's a head in the sand attitude, but I just don't get how knowing every tragic act of rage or even every accident wherever it may occur adds to my life in a positive way.

Honored Contributor

I have certainly worked with people - full time, part-time and temporary - whom I thought about in this context. Very mentally and emotionally unstable, irrational and disruptive. My supervisor never seemed to have an issue hiring them (no doubt she would have said discrimination laws meant she "had" to hire them), but she also never seemed to care about those of us who had to work with them every day. She could hire them, we had to deal with them.

During the last 2 years of my employment before retiring, the company handbook had created a way to "report" a situation or employee who made you feel unsafe, or who you thought night 'splode. I suspect it would end up getting the reporters reprimanded or fired, not the Scary Person.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

What a horrible (!) shame. 

You know, I have no problem with somebody killing him/herself - your body, your choice.    Have at it.

But to have to take out others just for some self-loathing spite just pi$$es me off.  It's about as chickenshirt as it gets.

Respected Contributor

I am alone no family. Loosing your job  and worrying about your future can often make you snap for you are so scared. its too bad he did this

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

What a godless world we have.

To be fair, the uncountable deaths in the Crusades and many wars were not godless.