Honored Contributor

Original Four Seasons Member Tommy DeVito Dies of COVID-19

[ Edited ]

It is with a very heavy heart that I post that Tommy DeVito has passed from COVID-19.  I learned from a former group member that he had been hospitalized for several weeks and was doing well but then needed a respirator.

He was a very good human being, very compassionate, despite the movie's (Jersey Boys) focusing on his naughty ways in his youth.

He turned 92 in June.

May his memory be eternal!

SPOFF20

Tommy DeVito

Throwback Thursday | Frankie valli, Tommy devito, Four seasons

Original Four Seasons -- Tommy DeVito on far left.

I always loved when they closed with one of their classics, "Bye Bye, Baby."  It would rise to a wonderful crescendo and make you feel you had just experienced something fantastic (their act).

Here is "Bye Bye, Baby"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgWyvnBHyOw

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Original Four Seasons Member Tommy DeVito Dies of COVID-19

May he RIP 🌹🌹

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry to hear this. At the same time, he lived a long life. 

By the way, I think in the picture he's at the far LEFT and not right. I believe that's Nick Massi on the right.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sushiesmom,

Because of the angle of their faces, it is hard to tell who is Nick Massi and who is Tommy, but Tommy played the guitar while Nick played the bass.  A bass is typically larger than a guitar, and so that is why I have always thought the photo showed Tommy on the far right.

But I won't bet the farm on anything. 

They are both gone now.   

ETA:  I have to admit that the photo of the aged Tommy looks more like the Season on the far left (or looks like he would have aged into the photo of the very mature Tommy).

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 

May he RIP🙏

As of today, over  200,000 dead Americans because of Covid-19.

Think how many American deaths might have been prevented if the virus had been taken seriously earlier.   Instead of those in high places calling it a "hoax".  😡

~Please do your part. Wear a mask, observe social distancing, wash hands. It is patriotic, and the right thing to do.~😷🇺🇸

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My first thought was that the Tommy you were referring to is the lead singer of today's Four Seasons, but that's Tommy Petillo, and he's much younger.

I've loved all versions of the Four Seasons. I actually can't tell the voices apart of any of them except of course Frankie Valli. They are all smooth and mellow and heavenly. I've met today's version several times at parties and get-togethers, and they are so nice and friendly as well as super-talented. From what I read, they'll be doing another cruise sometime in the future, but honestly that remains to be seen.

I can't get started talking about covid. I got into a little trouble yesterday because of what I posted, which was supposedly political. Oh well, I guess it was.

Stay healthy everyone and PLEASE wear your masks and stay away from trouble.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
"It is with great sadness that we report that Tommy DeVito, a founding member of The Four Seasons, has passed.
We send our love to his family during this most difficult time.
He will be missed by all who loved him."

- Frankie Valli & Bob Gaudio

Image may contain: 4 people, people standing, suit and wedding

[I just noticed that my original post and this post from Frankie Vallie and Bob Gaudio start out in a very similar fashion.  It is standard language, of course, but I just now read their comments.]
Trusted Contributor

Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons was one of the last concerts my mom and I saw in Atlantic City before she passed 16 years ago...So it must have been at least 18 years ago we saw them...it was very fun!...great entertainers.  DW

Respected Contributor

RIP Tommy DeVito.  I fell in love with all of those Jersey Boys in the early to mid 60's when I was about 5 years old when my then teenage brother starting buying me records of Four Seasons Songs to play on my red suitcase type record player.  Still refer to Frankie Valli as my Uncle Frankie.  I know the words to every song even the obscure ones. Never one to get emotional when someone I don't know passes, but I am in big trouble when it comes to these guys. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sushiesmom,

You are correct!  I just read the New York Post's coverage, and they have Tommy on the left in their different photo.   The face and lineup are the same, though 

I will correct my caption.

The Four Seasons

The Four Seasons (from left, Tommy DeVito, Frankie Valli, Bob Gaudio and Nick Massi) in 1966