Respected Contributor

Re: Oregon is launching a pay by the mile road tax

@sfnative wrote:

We moved to Oregon from California nearly two years ago upon retiring to be near DD and SIL.  I don't think I've even experienced a city (Portland) with such bad, bad, bad, bad, streets and roadways.  Don't move here if you have a bad back like me: a 2 mile drive down the street is agony - I have to pull away from the back of the seat, so the jarring which travels up through the frame of the car doesn't cause my daily pain to become worse.  It's simply ridiculous.

The state appears to have suffered from a gross case of fiscal mismanagement for many years.  The powers that be made nearly no effort at all to retain Portland's last cargo port.  To have retained it and BUILT upon it for the future would have been the way to go.

Because Oregon charges no sales tax, it was a no-brainer that this was going to catch up with them sooner than later.  I'd much rather see a sales tax instituted rather than a pay-by-the-mile plan road tax, as it's a punitive tax for those who drive cars - those evil things here in Oregon.

@sfnative wrote:

We moved to Oregon from California nearly two years ago upon retiring to be near DD and SIL.  I don't think I've even experienced a city (Portland) with such bad, bad, bad, bad, streets and roadways.  Don't move here if you have a bad back like me: a 2 mile drive down the street is agony - I have to pull away from the back of the seat, so the jarring which travels up through the frame of the car doesn't cause my daily pain to become worse.  It's simply ridiculous.

The state appears to have suffered from a gross case of fiscal mismanagement for many years.  The powers that be made nearly no effort at all to retain Portland's last cargo port.  To have retained it and BUILT upon it for the future would have been the way to go.

Because Oregon charges no sales tax, it was a no-brainer that this was going to catch up with them sooner than later.  I'd much rather see a sales tax instituted rather than a pay-by-the-mile plan road tax, as it's a punitive tax for those who drive cars - those evil things here in Oregon.

And the income tax is high.  It would make sense to institute a sales tax if they would lower the income tax.  That's been debated for years..I lived in Oregon 20 years ago, and it was the same story back then.

But it is a gorgeous state.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

ReSmiley Surprisedregon is launching a pay by the mile road tax

No sales tax????????? We pay sales tax on food, clothes, everything.

The 5 States With No Sales Tax

1. Oregon
Of all the sales-tax-free states, Oregon has the closest symbiotic relationship with its neighbor. Washington lies just across the Columbia River from Portland, and the states are near-mirror-images of each other when it comes to taxation: Washington has a high sales tax but no income tax, while Oregon has a high income tax but no sales tax. As a result, those living in Vancouver, Wash., across the river from Portland, can structure their lives to pay relatively little in income or sales taxes, taking advantage of their proximity to Oregon shopping.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/05/05/the-5-states-with-no-sales-tax/

Hi Noel,

Yes, the above is entirely true.  You can sit and watch the traffic on Interstate 5 going north into Washington every day at an act's pace. 

There is one thing that absolutely astounds us: the Interstate 5 bridge carrying those cars to and from Washington into Portland needs to be replaced - badly.  Unfortunately, Oregon contracted with a bridge "design" firm and submitted it to Washington state officials.  A big brew-ha-ha resulted; Washington state officials were somewhat insulted; cost over-runs could already be anticipated x3; and, Washington ended up telling Oregon officials a big fat NO.  So what happens if this bridge isn't re-built prior to a collapse?  This is the way Oregon handles business.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Slightly off topic:  Wasn't there a time when the national speed limit was 55 mph?  When gas prices were high, and gasoline was allegedly 'scarce'.  55mph: In order to minimize gasoline usage.  I like that idea.

I drive 55 on city streets in Phoenix...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Slightly off topic:  Wasn't there a time when the national speed limit was 55 mph?  When gas prices were high, and gasoline was allegedly 'scarce'.  55mph: In order to minimize gasoline usage.  I like that idea.

I drive 55 on city streets in Phoenix...........

I drive the posted speed limit on all streets.

Respected Contributor

Technically everyone already does, it's called gas.  LOL    If that happened here, everyone would have to quit their jobs.  It's a long way to anywhere from here.

We don't have state tax here, but we all voted in a county tax. 

My sister won't like that much, she was already unhappy that they're trying to make people pump their own gas.  

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Just curious, does Oregon have a tollway system?  I mean those poor folks would be paying twice to use the roads . . . that doesn't seem fair at all.

No toll roads and no sales tax in Oregon.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ROMARY wrote:

It would take me much longer to get to work if I drove 55.   The freeway limit is 70 and that is what I drive.  I can't drive 55.  ;o)

Edited to add:  I would NOT be in favour of a pay by the mile road tax. 

Trusted Contributor

151949...the decreased revenue is from less fuel being used due to less gas being purchased, higher-efficiency motors, electric cars and so on. Tax cuts actually INCREASE revenues since they get more money moving around.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

Debcakes, tracking the miles wouldn't be difficult at all if you moved into the state during the year or were a resident the entire time. Not only does your auto insurance company want your mileage, but when you pay ad valorem and/or tag fees, the mileage would be self reported or on your emissions test. There's no hiding it in most any state.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@blahblahvampemerblah wrote:
Debcakes, tracking the miles wouldn't be difficult at all if you moved into the state during the year or were a resident the entire time. Not only does your auto insurance company want your mileage, but when you pay ad valorem and/or tag fees, the mileage would be self reported or on your emissions test. There's no hiding it in most any state.

Thank you. I see what you are saying, that total mileage is easy to determine, but I would assume that Oregon can only tax for miles driven on Oregon roads. What if a person lives right on the state line and drives between a city in one state and one in Oregon. What about when you take a long road trip? I would not want to pay per mile to my state for my annual mileage as much of it is driven out of state.