Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oregon is launching a pay by the mile road tax

How exactly are they going to know how many miles are driven? They going to tax the vehicle/the driver, or both? What next, the planes flying over their "air space" gonna have to pay tax? If so, wonder if they would charge per mile or amount of time spent in their air space. Just little details like that have got me wondering.

"When the takers outnumber the makers, than what"?

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@debcakes wrote:

How do they collect a per mile tax? Do you have to stop and have your odometer read everytime you leave and enter the state? I drive in other states quite a bit. I would not wantto pay the per mile tax for miles driven elsewhere.

I don't know

I'm curious where you heard about this, Cherry, because you obviously didn't get the whole story and have caused a fair bit of confusion.

Honored Contributor

Slightly off topic:  Wasn't there a time when the national speed limit was 55 mph?  When gas prices were high, and gasoline was allegedly 'scarce'.  55mph: In order to minimize gasoline usage.  I like that idea.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@pickleslarue wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@debcakes wrote:

How do they collect a per mile tax? Do you have to stop and have your odometer read everytime you leave and enter the state? I drive in other states quite a bit. I would not wantto pay the per mile tax for miles driven elsewhere.

I don't know

I'm curious where you heard about this, Cherry, because you obviously didn't get the whole story and have caused a fair bit of confusion.

I read a snippet on line. It was sketchy

Super Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@pickleslarue wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@debcakes wrote:

I don't know

Uh, yeah...online WHERE?

Honored Contributor

@pickleslarue wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@pickleslarue wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@debcakes wrote:

I don't know

Uh, yeah...online WHERE?

I don't recall. I surf the net and read things al over

Honored Contributor

@debcakes wrote:

Read post #24.

Honored Contributor

When federal income taxes are lowered then less money is given to the states so then the states give less to the local communities - ultimately the state and local communities have to raise their taxes. In the end the average citizen pays the same amount as they did in the first place. It is just all politics - every politician knows he/she can buy a certain % of votes if they lower taxes.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's the whole story, cherry:

http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/index.ssf/2014/10/oregon_mileage_tax_odot_lookin.html

This article explains how the whole deal may work and  also has a calculator to help compute what you would pay.

I tried it and it was probably about what we pay already with the gas tax in our state in the northeast.

Trusted Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

Here's the whole story, cherry:

http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/index.ssf/2014/10/oregon_mileage_tax_odot_lookin.html

This article explains how the whole deal may work and  also has a calculator to help compute what you would pay.

I tried it and it was probably about what we pay already with the gas tax in our state in the northeast.

OK, tracking the miles still sounds complicated.