Honored Contributor

Re: Oregon is launching a pay by the mile road tax

@NoelSeven wrote:

"Ok, that's it I'm moving.  At first I thought it was to be near a Wegman's but now I believe we have a new winner "

mtc, you are such a sweeetheart Heart

Wegmans, LOL!  You know, I'd consider moving for Wegman's, too Heart

Right back at ya Noel . . . hey did you see I bombed out on the Minion Tic Tacs but got a PEZ DISPENSER? . . . yay!

And the ah-hem Blaster comes tomorrow.  Happy Fourth of July!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

mtc, it turns out the tic tacs are sold in the regular little boxes, the container I pictured yesterday is the large size.  I had't seen them until she stopped by last night to drop off Stuart for me, lol.

Your 4th of July will be a blast .Image result for laughing smiley

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Thank you again Noel, I cannot wait to receive my Blaster . . . minions rule!

Honored Contributor

Pa has essentially had this on the Pa turnpike for decades. What is the big deal? You stop as you enter and get a ticket that has punched where you started , when you exit you stop at the tollbooth and give them that ticket and they tell you what you have to pay. OR you can buy an electronic easy pass that electronically records it and bills your cc.Either way the longer you drive the more it costs.

Trusted Contributor

How do they collect a per mile tax? Do you have to stop and have your odometer read everytime you leave and enter the state? I drive in other states quite a bit. I would not wantto pay the per mile tax for miles driven elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

@debcakes wrote:

How do they collect a per mile tax? Do you have to stop and have your odometer read everytime you leave and enter the state? I drive in other states quite a bit. I would not wantto pay the per mile tax for miles driven elsewhere.

I don't know

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

We moved to Oregon from California nearly two years ago upon retiring to be near DD and SIL.  I don't think I've even experienced a city (Portland) with such bad, bad, bad, bad, streets and roadways.  Don't move here if you have a bad back like me: a 2 mile drive down the street is agony - I have to pull away from the back of the seat, so the jarring which travels up through the frame of the car doesn't cause my daily pain to become worse.  It's simply ridiculous.

The state appears to have suffered from a gross case of fiscal mismanagement for many years.  The powers that be made nearly no effort at all to retain Portland's last cargo port.  To have retained it and BUILT upon it for the future would have been the way to go.

Because Oregon charges no sales tax, it was a no-brainer that this was going to catch up with them sooner than later.  I'd much rather see a sales tax instituted rather than a pay-by-the-mile plan road tax, as it's a punitive tax for those who drive cars - those evil things here in Oregon.

I was unaware of the state of the roads (or the economy) in Oregon. Thanks for the enlightenment. I think I'd rather have a sales tax of some kind as well, as you can choose not to buy things, but choosing not to drive is not an option for most people. They need to get to work, school, appointments etc. 

Just a thought, but is it yet another back door way to get people to not drive, you know conserve energy, save the environment, kind of thing? Sort of a forced compliance for 'green' reasons?

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Pa has essentially had this on the Pa turnpike for decades. What is the big deal? You stop as you enter and get a ticket that has punched where you started , when you exit you stop at the tollbooth and give them that ticket and they tell you what you have to pay. OR you can buy an electronic easy pass that electronically records it and bills your cc.Either way the longer you drive the more it costs.

I think the big deal is that people are feeling they will be double (or triple) taxed. At the pump, with their plates, toll roads, and then by the mile. Gets expensive.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

From what I read it's only a study with 5000 volunteers that was set to begin 7/1/15.

Did they not do that ????

ETA: Ok , ODOT is letting 5000 volunteers sign up starting 7/1/15 for a study that will start 1/1/16.

You can rest easy, cherry !

Honored Contributor

Before  charging for ANOTHER TAX, there should be an audit of what the state is doing with the tax money they currently collect. I am sick to death of paying taxes when I am very sure the money is not always (probably never) used wisely.