Honored Contributor

Re: Oregon is launching a pay by the mile road tax

Oregon has no sales tax.  I've been told their property tax is higher because of that.

Sounds to me like they are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

We moved to Oregon from California nearly two years ago upon retiring to be near DD and SIL.  I don't think I've even experienced a city (Portland) with such bad, bad, bad, bad, streets and roadways.  Don't move here if you have a bad back like me: a 2 mile drive down the street is agony - I have to pull away from the back of the seat, so the jarring which travels up through the frame of the car doesn't cause my daily pain to become worse.  It's simply ridiculous.

The state appears to have suffered from a gross case of fiscal mismanagement for many years.  The powers that be made nearly no effort at all to retain Portland's last cargo port.  To have retained it and BUILT upon it for the future would have been the way to go.

Because Oregon charges no sales tax, it was a no-brainer that this was going to catch up with them sooner than later.  I'd much rather see a sales tax instituted rather than a pay-by-the-mile plan road tax, as it's a punitive tax for those who drive cars - those evil things here in Oregon.

See above.

Honored Contributor

sfnative, I completely agree with you.  That would be a much more fair tax.  I get the impression from your note that cars are looked down on in Oregon which is fine but it takes both cars and trucks for goods to get to stores and markets so everyone should share in that cost.  IMO.

Honored Contributor

sfnative, you might remember that about 25 years ago or so, when SF home prices really started going up, there was a major move by a lot of people in The City to Seattle.  Seattle was most like SF.  Consequently, their cost of living went up and it got crowded. 

The latest is that SF retirees and others who can't afford it here or don't like the recent influx of tech people are moving to Portland.  Seattle is the new SF and Portland is the new Seattle.

We have friends in Portland who've been there about that long, and we are friends with another couple condidering relocating in Portland.

Honored Contributor

No sales tax????????? We pay sales tax on food, clothes, everything.

Honored Contributor

One could live in a town on the Washington border and pay no state income tax and shop in Oregon to avoid sales tax.
Honored Contributor

ReSmiley Surprisedregon is launching a pay by the mile road tax

The 5 States With No Sales Tax

1. Oregon
Of all the sales-tax-free states, Oregon has the closest symbiotic relationship with its neighbor. Washington lies just across the Columbia River from Portland, and the states are near-mirror-images of each other when it comes to taxation: Washington has a high sales tax but no income tax, while Oregon has a high income tax but no sales tax. As a result, those living in Vancouver, Wash., across the river from Portland, can structure their lives to pay relatively little in income or sales taxes, taking advantage of their proximity to Oregon shopping.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/05/05/the-5-states-with-no-sales-tax/

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I must have read that wrong, that's couldn't be what was meant.

Sales tax is such a big thing in so many other states, some people think twice before they buy things.  It's 8.75% here.

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

ReSmiley Surprisedregon is launching a pay by the mile road tax

The 5 States With No Sales Tax

1. Oregon
Of all the sales-tax-free states, Oregon has the closest symbiotic relationship with its neighbor. Washington lies just across the Columbia River from Portland, and the states are near-mirror-images of each other when it comes to taxation: Washington has a high sales tax but no income tax, while Oregon has a high income tax but no sales tax. As a result, those living in Vancouver, Wash., across the river from Portland, can structure their lives to pay relatively little in income or sales taxes, taking advantage of their proximity to Oregon shopping.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/05/05/the-5-states-with-no-sales-tax/

Ok, that's it I'm moving.  At first I thought it was to be near a Wegman's but now I believe we have a new winner . . . anything but Illinois.  Poor Illinois . . . Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

"Ok, that's it I'm moving.  At first I thought it was to be near a Wegman's but now I believe we have a new winner "

mtc, you are such a sweeetheart Heart

Wegmans, LOL!  You know, I'd consider moving for Wegman's, too Heart