Honored Contributor

Orangutan returned to the wild, .heartwarming!

A ten-year-old orangutan has been returned to the rainforests of West Borneo after six years in rehabilitation.

Mimi was brought to the International Animal Rescue (IAR) rehabilitation centre in Ketapang, Indonesia, in May 2011 after being confiscated from illegal pet traders along with another baby called Momo.

Tragically, their mothers had been killed and the infants were waiting to be sold to animal traffickers and smuggled out of Indonesia.

Mimi and Momo were being kept in appalling conditions at the back of a house, in a tiny cage overlooking a sewer in the town of Sintang.

They were both suffering from severe malnutrition and Mimi was nearly hairless.

The orangutans clung constantly to each other and screamed whenever they were pulled apart.

But the pair quickly adapted to their new surroundings at IAR's centre as workers looked after them. 

In 2013, Momo suddenly died from an infection, leaving Mimi without her closest friend.

Mimi (left in 2011)  was brought to the International Animal Rescue (IAR) rehabilitation centre in Ketapang, Indonesia, in May 2011 after being confiscated from illegal pet traders along with another baby called Momo (right)

In 2013, Momo suddenly died from an infection, leaving Mimi without her closest friend as she continued to rehabilitate 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Orangutan returned to the wild, .heartwarming!

@KingstonsMomHope she has a tracking device so they know how well her rehab training works once she's back "home."  Six years in rehab sounds so long.  I'd love to hear if they really know they've had success.

Honored Contributor

I hope she finds happiness at last.

Some humans are the cruelest animals of all.  So sad this has happened to her.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@KingstonsMomHope she has a tracking device so they know how well her rehab training works once she's back "home."  Six years in rehab sounds so long.  I'd love to hear if they really know they've had success.

I agree.  I love these stories but always wonder how easily they adapt after being in captivity. 

Honored Contributor

@makena wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

I agree.  I love these stories but always wonder how easily they adapt after being in captivity. 

@makena

That's why she was at the rehab center so long.

After they taught her how to survive in the wild (find food, build a 'nest', etc.), she was sent to a rehab island (think 'Orangutan Island', if you've ever seen that show) so that they could be sure that she had learned the skills needed to survive in the wild.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom I used to love the show "Orangutan Island" when it was on  TV. It was so sweet. I hope the project is still going on.

These are such intelligent and sweet animals. I agree with @Carmie, many humans are the worst !!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein