Esteemed Contributor

Orange Juice prices going up up up

[ Edited ]

The oranges have a disease that they are having a hard time controlling.  Now we are in freezing temps.  They said expect to pay more.   

The disease is caused when a tiny flying bug — called the Asian citrus psyllid — injects orange trees with a bacterium. According to Diepenbrock, the ailment can cause orange trees to die slow deaths. While some are more tolerant, other trees' fruits become fewer and lopsided.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Orange Juice prices going up up up

What isn't expensive now? It's scary going to the supermarket. 

Honored Contributor

I did read about this, thanks for posting it. I hope prices don't get too crazy. This is the favorite in my house,

Tropicana product image

Honored Contributor

Haven't had a glass of OJ in years.  DH used to drink it but he has switched to V8.  I prefer cranberry juice.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50. I also like V8 and tomato juice. I can't recall the last time I bought OJ. I prefer to eat a good orange and have found some nice ones this year at Walmart , but I think from CA. I know some people love to start their day with a glass of OJ. Not the first year with a bad freeze but everything is more expensive so not helping cost increases.

Honored Contributor

I can't even pretend to know the current nature of the Florida citrus issues, but I do know a few years back I heard from an owner of the locsl fruit stand where I do to buy local citrus that the industry here was in trouble.  That uyear it was diseased trees in the groves.

Right now another factor I am seeing is how fast the land in the citrus-growing areas is going into development as more and more people think moving here will be easier living. It well might be, but expect all sorts of unintended consequences.  This reminds me of how Long Island, NY changed in such huge ways over the 60 years I lived there. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@godi  Yes...it is across the board... the record highs for gas.....Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

Spoiler

That's sad to hear because I've always been unimpressed by California oranges.  I wonder if they're raised in Mexico?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe
In CA, we are getting mandatory spraying of citrus trees and other host species by the county/state. In fact, our yard is this week.
Honored Contributor

Finally, a price increase that won't affect my wallet!   I am allergic to citrus and never buy orange juice unless my husband specifically requests it, which is rare.   Probably never bought more than 2 bottles a year, but usually always have apple and grape juice in the house.