Regular Contributor

Opioid Epidemic New Info via Washington Post

On The Washington Post's website, you can find a new article about the Opioid Epidemic.  The Post, along with another local newspaper, were able to obtain data collected by the DEA about the distribution of prescription painkillers from 2006-2012, and you can see these data on The Post's website.  In a nutshell, the federal govt required all manufacuturers and distributors of these drugs to register and track each and every pill in this database called ARCOS.  This database was secret in that only the govt and the companies entering their data had access.  Via the ongoing litigation regarding allegations made against these companies, The Post and other newspaper were able to get a judge to give them -- and then all of us -- access to that database but just for the years 2006 - 2012.  You can go to The Post's website and actually plug into the database and find out exactly how many pills were distributed to each county of each state for this time period, by which manufacturer, distributor and pharmacy.  So, for example, for Mingo County West Virginia (population about 27,000 from the 2010 census) there were about 38 million of these pills distributed during that time period, averaging out to 203 pills per year for every man, woman and child.  The primary manufacturer was Miami-Luken, responible for 11.4 million of the pills, and the primary pharmacy was Strosnider, responsible for distributing 13 million pills.  You can plug in any county and state and get this information.  You may find this interesting to know.

Honored Contributor

Re: Opioid Epidemic New Info via Washington Post

It was an interesting article. I've been watching how this unfolds over the years and all I will say is there is PLENTY of blame to go around. I also don't think the pharmaceutical companies should be the only ones to be sued (if someone plans to sue).

Honored Contributor

Why does that matter?  No one can un-ring a bell.  There were 1000 factors in play that resulted in the opioid addiction.   

Esteemed Contributor

When my son was in third grade, he broke his arm in several places. The night before getting it set, the doctor prescribed a "pain killer." I can't remember what it was, but it was in the percocet family. Shortly after he took it, he tried to rip off his hospital gown and went to the window and tried to jump out to see his best friend. Needless to say, we stopped the drug. When my daughter was 15, she suddenly got a severe headache. We went to the emergency room, and they said she either had meningitis or a migraine. It turned out she had a migraine. They gave her oxycontin. After she took it, she told me she could see through her hand. Needless to say, we stopped the drug. The pain would have to be ridiculous before anyone in my family would consider taking a pain killer or narcotic again. For us, painkillers are usually much worse than the pain. That being said, I'm sure there is pain that is caused by certain cancers, etc. that really need to be remediated in any way possible. People just need to be aware of what they are taking and how it can harm them. After that, it is the patient's responsibiltiy.

Esteemed Contributor

About 15 years ago I had surgery when they were still handing them out like candy.  After a few days I mentioned to a friend that I was talking to the bottle and letting it know that soon I would have one of you.

Well, her husband was an ED nurse and the biggest, meanest looking guy you ever saw.  But what a big heart.  He was right at the door that night and made me put them down the disposal.

For the first time ever I understood the appeal.  Have had four more surgeries since and refuse to bring any home.  So seductive!

Honored Contributor

The State of Oklahoma is suing an opiod manufacturer now.  I think the trial is either wrapping up or has been wrapped up in the last week.  

It has been all over the news and you can read about it. 

Respected Contributor

I fear the day when I can't get a pain reliever if I really need it. I have used Percocet and oxy a number of times in the past and it has really helped me I could never get addicted because it makes me nauseous and makes me sleep all day but sometimes you really need pain relief.

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately this affects those who actually need it but can’t get it because oh no, opioid epidemic. It’s a witch hunt 

Trusted Contributor

This opioid epidemic is so interesting.  I find it also interesting that the crack episodes of years gone by never received such interest.  

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

@JanetsGirl   Thanks for posting this information.  I did see a  TV show last night where the host discussed these revelations from the Post.  It's hair-rasing to see how far they went to keep this information away from the public and to see in-house memos from these companies "pushing" these drugs on the public.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~