Esteemed Contributor

Re: Opinions...truth or kissing tush?

The dictionary defination:  A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Opinions are just what one thinks, nothing more.  Just start a thread on certain clothing lines on here and you'll see opinions all over the place, who is right and who is wrong? Neither, just an opinion, and everyone has them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse Her mom (the family it appears) thinks this same way we do. It really isn't about our friendship but more....how society handles the question "what do you think of......" and whether the person asking wants the truth or wants to hear THEIR truth.

Just the direction the convesation took due to the YouTube channel.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear  Thank you. Although I'm disappointed it wasn't Churchill, so fond of him, you have saved me from embarrassment in future and I appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Sooner  I agree with you that HOW you deliver the opinion matters. But what if your opinion isn't what they want to hear (it isn't what they believe to be the truth)?

Example: I watched one of her videos and she was showing a top that made her look awful (wrong color, too tight, too short, cost her a LOT of money because it was designer that charges over a thousand for a jacket). She believed it looked amazing on her, flattered her in every way and that anyone who disagreed was a "hater". No, anyone who disagreed with her was telling her the truth. I asked her mom about it and she told me how everyone in the family told her it was awful and the reply was "but it's CHANEL. That's how it's SUPPOSED to look! You just don't get it". Which I found interesting because she posted that same reply (you just don't get it) under those who disagreed with her. She also blocks those who state something opposite from what she thinks. 

So, in this scenario, the YouTuber only wants positive responses, not the truth. It kind of reminds me of the Emperor's New Clothes.

@SahmIam She loves it.  So what if it doesn't look great?  She loves it and it makes her feel good, so what is the point here?  To make her feel bad about it? 

I see so many posts here saying "It doesn't flatter her. . . " So what?  If someone is appropriately dressed and loves what they are wearing, isn't that the important thing?  

After all it is that person who is wearing it.  And to me, that is more important than if something looke really good or not.  Not if it is something totally off the wall or not decent to wear out that's different.

Honored Contributor

It sounds to me  she is fishing for compliments, more than an honest evaluation. I don't know anyone with a youtube channel. I  only use it for things I am interested in ,and I don't  go to any places that ask for  opinions. I am looking for information...I never see any discussion on the places I use

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

The dictionary defination:  A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Opinions are just what one thinks, nothing more.  Just start a thread on certain clothing lines on here and you'll see opinions all over the place, who is right and who is wrong? Neither, just an opinion, and everyone has them.

@mspatmac Agree. So the question then becomes why delete ONLY negative feedback? Why ask for opinions in the first place if you only want to hear one side?

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think thin-skinned people should open themselves up to public scrutiny. If they can't stand the heat, maybe they should not enter a hot kitchen. Sadly, not everyone is as considerate and respectful as they expect others to be  towards them, and use public platforms to spew their vitriol.  This is a golden opportunity for her to grow, and overcome her insecurities. Hopefully, she will learn, and become successful in her future endeavors.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

Hummm?  What did my mother and grandma always say, “ “There are two ways to say something.  Force will always be met with force.  If you are negative first your other words will never be heard......”

Get it?  Truth?  Yes, always!  But say it in a constructive way.  A way like you want to be spoken to.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@Sooner  I agree with you that HOW you deliver the opinion matters. But what if your opinion isn't what they want to hear (it isn't what they believe to be the truth)?

Example: I watched one of her videos and she was showing a top that made her look awful (wrong color, too tight, too short, cost her a LOT of money because it was designer that charges over a thousand for a jacket). She believed it looked amazing on her, flattered her in every way and that anyone who disagreed was a "hater". No, anyone who disagreed with her was telling her the truth. I asked her mom about it and she told me how everyone in the family told her it was awful and the reply was "but it's CHANEL. That's how it's SUPPOSED to look! You just don't get it". Which I found interesting because she posted that same reply (you just don't get it) under those who disagreed with her. She also blocks those who state something opposite from what she thinks. 

So, in this scenario, the YouTuber only wants positive responses, not the truth. It kind of reminds me of the Emperor's New Clothes.

@SahmIam She loves it.  So what if it doesn't look great?  She loves it and it makes her feel good, so what is the point here?  To make her feel bad about it? 

I see so many posts here saying "It doesn't flatter her. . . " So what?  If someone is appropriately dressed and loves what they are wearing, isn't that the important thing?  

After all it is that person who is wearing it.  And to me, that is more important than if something looke really good or not.  Not if it is something totally off the wall or not decent to wear out that's different.

@Sooner  The topic of "why would you wear something that doesn't flatter you" was a HUGE thread on the fashion forum....I wish I'd hadn't used the jacket as an example now because it's taking away the point of the question. In fact, I'm going to delete it. Thank you for showing me it was a poor choice.Smiley Happy

If someone asks you for an opinion and you do so and it doesn't mesh with what THEY think, does it make sense that they should be angry with you? 

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@mspatmac wrote:

@mspatmac Agree. So the question then becomes why delete ONLY negative feedback? Why ask for opinions in the first place if you only want to hear one side?

@SahmIam thanks for adding that, good point.  All opinions have value, negative opinions are valuable too. Weigh both sides