Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions...truth or kissing tush?

A little nuance here, please. So many sound almost belligerent about giving only true feelings when asked. It's not necessarily a badge of honor.

Particularly in real time, I try to state any negative opinion in a positive way.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@SahmIam  I watch it on my TV and if you scroll down, you find a lot of other videos, not discusion, I might be using it wrong I don't know?

@cherry I......have no idea. Didn't know that. Hopefully someone who does will chime in.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@SahmIam  I watch it on my TV and if you scroll down, you find a lot of other videos, not discusion, I might be using it wrong I don't know?

@cherry I......have no idea. Didn't know that. Hopefully someone who does will chime in.Smiley Happy

There is no comment section when watching on TV. If you want to read the comments, or make one yourself, you need to use your smartphone, tablet, or computer. 

A positive thing about watching on TV is there is usually a short ad before the video and that's it. On other devices there are usually multiple ads.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

A little nuance here, please. So many sound almost belligerent about giving only true feelings when asked. It's not necessarily a badge of honor.

Particularly in real time, I try to state any negative opinion in a positive way.

This is obviously a negative opinion of fellow posters, it's OT, and I can't see how it was dispensed in a positive way.

Honored Contributor

If you don't want my honest opinion then don't ask me!

Honored Contributor

Most of the YouTubers I watch remove negative comments. Dr Dray, the dermatologist, removes all comments about her weight. I have seen legitimate comments gone in seconds. The Daily Connoisseur does the same.

So I doubt most want the truth...

Honored Contributor

Yes, if someone specifically asks for my opinion, I give them my honest opinion.  However, many people are like your friend's daughter, they don't really want honesty.  They think the do but they get upset, angry, resentful when they don't get what they were looing for.  Many people just want you to affirm that they are right or they only want to hear something complimentary.  I feel uncomfortble lying to people just to make them feel good but some people do that.  

Esteemed Contributor

If I'm asked for my opinion, I give it.  I'm not obnoxious about it but I'm truthful.  In this case, if your friend's daughter gets upset when she's not given glowing reviews 100% of the time, that's HER problem.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think that most people what to hear something that  supports a decision that they've already made - they may say they don't know what to do  or what decision to make but alot of people look for validation .  With today's atmosphere , it's difficult to be as candid as one may like to be . If you give advice   watch how it is phrased. Sometimes saying  " well I've seen this done ( give example)  in the same situation and the outcome was xyz .

Rather than  saying " You should or must do  xyz regarding a particular problem  ".

I'm from the old school of hard knocks . Life isn't always fair , fun or  easy . It pays to ask for advice from your respected  group of family,  friends  or other acquaintances . It takes maturity to listen to  other people with various viewpoints and  advice . If, asking for advice  It's best to thank them for their advice  . You'd be surprised    how another person looking at a dilemma  can see  solutions other than what  you  see.  Then weigh  out if you can live with the possible implications of the  possible outcome of a decision.

Respected Contributor

People put videos on youtube and social media to make money so I think they should be aware there are always going to be some haters and ignore them or get rid the posts.