Respected Contributor

Opinions on Ring doorbells, please

I have thinking about getting one and was wondering what those that have purchased them think. David just had a Ring 3 set up for $179.97. Is it worth it for the piece of mind or not?

Respected Contributor

Re: Opinions on Ring doorbells, please

I purchased one from Best Buy and had them to install it. That was several years ago. It does what it supposed to do. If someone is at your door even if you're not home you can see them anytime.  

Honored Contributor

@wakefield64 wrote:

I have thinking about getting one and was wondering what those that have purchased them think. David just had a Ring 3 set up for $179.97. Is it worth it for the piece of mind or not?

it's nice to see who comes to the door or when a package arrives

do some research on the pricing

you do need good wifi though 

Occasional Contributor

I have 3. I have them on the inside of my Windows. They are great. You can fine tune them to pick up what kind of motion to want record.

Honored Contributor

My sister got one about a month ago and loves it.  

My house was burglarized 3 weeks ago and Ring is on my list of things to get.  It wouldn't have stopped anyone in this scenario but I would have had good pictures.  

Trusted Contributor

Our kids got us one for Christmas a couple of years ago and installed it.  I cannot imagine my life without it.

I never opened the door to anyone before unless I was expecting someone.  At least now I can see how I am choosing to ignore.

Valued Contributor

We have three (front door, porch and backyard) and love them! I especially like when I am away from the house and hear that there is someone at our door or in our yard and I can look and see who it is. Definitely worth the money! 

Honored Contributor

I go back and forth about it.

Part of me just doesn't want to know.

Plus I have to install inside.  If I install outside I have to get HOA approval and it has to point down, it can't point out, so the point of it would be to see my front door only, not my car in front of my house.

If I install it inside the window, I can do whatever I want.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

The actual doorbell just points out.  In fact, it tells you specifically what height to install it which was above where our previous doorbell was.  That caused a problem because it was installed in brick and my husband couldn't figure out how to fish the wires up so we have this ugly conduit on the outside of the brick running the wires up and he won't hire someone to fix it.  There is no adjustment to change what direction it points. 

We have the doorbell in front, plus the spotlight cam on our back deck.  Then, my husband got the set of 3 stand-alone units and have 2 positioned on our fencing.  The third we have in the kitchen facing the door but we only turn that one on when we go on vacation.  As someone mentioned, you do need good wifi especially for ones you put outside.  We had a wifi extender and it still wasn't good enough for one of our fence units, so hubby ended up getting one of those mesh wifi systems.  

The only downside is you might get so many notifications that you just start to ignore them.  The one on our deck I call our squirrel cam.  My doorbell cam tells me when the garbage and recycle trucks go by, yet somehow the delivery people seem to know how to deliver a package without setting it off.

One other con for me is that if I get a phone update or something I have to re-log in and I have to enter a code that they send to my husband's e-mail, so he has to be around to give me the code to sign in.  There may be a fix for that, but it hasn't annoyed HIM enough yet for him to look into it. 

They have really good Customer Service.  I know he had a problem with updating our subscription and he called them late at night because he waited until the last minute to do it and the lady worked with him for quite awhile to get it fixed.  I think he also had to call them once before when setting up one of the cameras.  

Valued Contributor

Did anyone else see Dr. Phil's episode on High Tech dangers? It involved a couple who were terrorized by someone who hacked into their Ring doorbell and baby monitor systems. The person would speak to them through these devices while watching them. I have no idea how all this is possible, but its worth looking into.