Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions on New vs Used car

Also, the "dealer price" isn't really the dealer price.  You can get a car below dealer price in a lot of instances.  There are always dealer incentive programs, holdbacks, and year end inventory reductions and rebates dealers get that never show up in what is called the dealer price.

Go fishing!  Go for below dealer price.  It can't hurt! ESPECIALLY if it is last year's model.

Super Contributor

We used to laugh at the Hyundais and Kias, years ago, but now they look so pretty, and my salesman friend (Mitsu) says they are much better now. If I ever need another car (my son can fix most anything, and takes care of all the family vehicles for the cost of a pizza), I may just look at a Kia. I have trouble pronouncing Hyundai.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14, the Veloster is the sporty version of the Elantra re engine, looks and finishes. So it was built to be that low-slung sportscar. But all Elantras aren’t the Veloster, which is the most expensive, most souped-up Elantra sold to sportscar enthusiasts. Those looking for a compact or small midsized sedan Hyundai for everyday driving, town or country, would be testing the other Elantras, not Hyundai’s Corvette.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Laura14, are you talking prices you’re being given with no negotiation?

You need to research the car you want on carsdirect and truecar, Edmunds or even Costco, though I was told by a car dealer that carsdirect’s price was lower than Costco’s. I never go to a dealership and let them tell me what I “have to pay.”

The sticker MSRP on my 2016 Elantra was $20,000 in January 2016. I could have walked in and paid $20,000 for it. I went through TrueCar and my cost was $16,000 - for a brand new, never-driven car that’s well-equipped if not top-of-line loaded, with a 10-yr, 100,000 mi warranty.

The brands like Toyota and Honda won’t come down that much, percentage-wise. The Fords & Chevys start out thousands higher and add extras to cost even more, with generally much shorter warranties.

@Moonchilde  My sister lives across the street from a Honda dealer.  According to her, he is basically treating me as if he himself was buying the car and pulling away all commission, hold backs, etc.

I think what he is doing is giving a car away at a great deal almost breaking even but requiring Honda financing to make up some of the money for himself and his dealership on the finance end of things plus he has a recorded sale on the books. 

Bonus:  He now has my sister, her husband, me, our entire family, everyone we come into contact with etc throwing business his way. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Also, the "dealer price" isn't really the dealer price.  You can get a car below dealer price in a lot of instances.  There are always dealer incentive programs, holdbacks, and year end inventory reductions and rebates dealers get that never show up in what is called the dealer price.

Go fishing!  Go for below dealer price.  It can't hurt! ESPECIALLY if it is last year's model.

@Sooner  Unfortunately this is a brand new 2018 that he has I guess 8 months to sell before the 2019 models come in around August?  I have zero negotiating power with this model but I think it's a good deal based on the truecar site plus what I experienced with Toyota and all the dealer addons that aren't shown on the website that you can't take off the car.  I think I am going to run down tomorrow to really lay eyes on it and see the sticker for myself to really compare.

Anyone looking at websites, add about $1500-$2000 to the internet price and go from there at least in the Atlanta area for the dealer addons.  They don't show you those at least on the dealership sites around me.  That's your sticker shock when you get in person.      

I tried the 2017 clearance model route at Hyundai and they started to play games with me plus the car I really liked unfortunately didn't work for me.  This has not been easy at all!  

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Laura14, the Veloster is the sporty version of the Elantra re engine, looks and finishes. So it was built to be that low-slung sportscar. But all Elantras aren’t the Veloster, which is the most expensive, most souped-up Elantra sold to sportscar enthusiasts. Those looking for a compact or small midsized sedan Hyundai for everyday driving, town or country, would be testing the other Elantras, not Hyundai’s Corvette.

@summerwind  OMG we had one of those POS Hyundai's!  I think my mother got a burial fee when she finally traded it in.  

@Moonchilde  Where were you when I was asking about it? Smiley WinkSmiley Very Happy  Yeah I had no idea it was exactly what you said.  A corvette style body.  Not for me and unfortunately I am really trying to stay small.  I know I am being ridiculous but Elantras are just too big.  I even threw my rental car back today to swap out because I couldn't handle a hybrid four door sedan.  I got a four door mid-size instead which is better and I don't think wants to kill me like the boat did but I am so not made for this new world of cars. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

You were all so wonderful with your suggestions on what to buy that I am weighing how to buy now.

I am a little in shock with new car prices.  I have always bought small economy cars.

The most I have ever paid for a new car is $16,000 five years ago. 

Now that we have so much technology mandated on cars the bottom rung price for Toyota's basic is over $20,000.  You can go used for about half if you can even find one which I haven't yet but give up at least 30,000 miles or more on the engine.

I can afford the $20,000 but I am having a REALLY hard time with paying it for a basic economy car.  I currently have a friend pricing a Honda Fit to see if they can do better.

So what would you do?  Bite the bullet and pay the $20,000 for a brand new economy car you hope to run into the ground and have for 10 years or more?  Or take your chances and save some money on a used car that won't last as long and may not be as reliable?  

Hi, @Laura14. I was in the same boat last year. The first car I ever bought was a Used car. It lasted a single girl about 6 months. Everything was wrong with it. I bought it alone and w/o having anyone check it out.

Since then, I've never bought anything but a new car. It's always served me well. I want a car that is nobody else's problems. For me, a new car has never let me down. I keep them well maintained and nothing big or expensive has occurred. It's cost me more money, but the security of them is enough for me to pay it. 

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14  I have purchased both new and preowned. I usually do a lot of research online first, read reviews on edmunds.com, consumer reports etc. I go to dealerships and look try out a few, then look at their inventories on their websites. 

I have never done a lease. However, if you are leary about the price of some cars currently, you may want to check into a lease. If you do not put a lot of miles per year on a car.  Montly payments are usually much lower and  people often are able  to get into a new car every 2 years or so. Leasing was never an option for me when i was working because of the amount of miles i drove everyday.

If purchasing a preowned i would look for something with no more than 25,000 miles and certified preowned. 

Go in the dealership with confidence and take charge. Many women get taken advantage of when they have  not done their own research. You are the customer, you tell them what you want.

If looking at preowned cars, get the carfax report to see if there has been any wrecks or so forth involed with the vehicle.

Hope than helps some.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner  Unfortunately this is a brand new 2018 that he has I guess 8 months to sell before the 2019 models come in around August?  I have zero negotiating power with this model but I think it's a good deal based on the truecar site plus what I experienced with Toyota and all the dealer addons that aren't shown on the website that you can't take off the car.  I think I am going to run down tomorrow to really lay eyes on it and see the sticker for myself to really compare.

Anyone looking at websites, add about $1500-$2000 to the internet price and go from there at least in the Atlanta area for the dealer addons.  They don't show you those at least on the dealership sites around me.  That's your sticker shock when you get in person.      

I tried the 2017 clearance model route at Hyundai and they started to play games with me plus the car I really liked unfortunately didn't work for me.  This has not been easy at all!  

@Laura14  You always have the negotiating power when you have the money to spend.  ALWAYS!  DO NOT forget that.  Never act like you really like that car and always be willing to walk out the door.  

They made a lot of cars like that and the sales person (not your friend ever) needs to sell cars.  Make him or her work for the deal.  Keep a poker face. 

"Oh, I don't know.  It's not the car I really wanted."  "Well, it's sort of homely looking, but I guess I could live with it."  "Ok.  I'm going to shop around, this isn't quite the deal I'm looking for."    "Well, you'll be getting more in probably."  "Well, I'm just starting to look, so I have time to think about it."   "Well, there's a car I really want to look at (Name a dealership in a nearby town) first I guess"

or the best maybe "Well, I have the money, and whenever someone meets my figure I'll buy." And stick to your guns.  They will cave in.  Never had one that didn't.  They are after the sale, and as a dealer told me once "I don't have to make money on every car I sell.  But I do have to sell so many cars."    So I always figure that car they don't have to make much money on is the one I'll buy! LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@febe1  Me too.  New is expensive but security in knowing you have no issues for several years is a big plus on my check list too.

@webbgarner1  I drive very little.  My 4 1/2 year old car had only 17,000 miles on it BUT I am getting ready to switch careers and possibly move at some point so I don't want to lease.  It's probably perfect for someone like me though.  The dealership even suggested it when I told him how little mileage I had on my soon to be totaled car.  Good thought!