Super Contributor

Re: Opinions for bridal shower alternatives

If they have everything, why have a shower?   I would skip it or do the personal/lingerie shower.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't want a personal shower for myself.  it just isn't something I'd be interested in sharing with the world and I figure 90 percent of the stuff would never be worn or used anyway.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl - Just curious. Aren't her bridesmaids having a shower for her? Most of the showers I've attended lately have been given by them. 

What about a tea? If the couple doesn't need much and they are animal lovers, there could be a request to donate to a local animal shelter at the shower instead of buying a gift. Or another idea I've seen is for guests to help the couple with their honeymoon expenses. We contributed to a honeymoon lunch in the Bahamas or somewhere once. Of course the couple had already been living together for several years! 

We have two weddings coming up this summer where the bride and groom have NOT been living together - that seems to be rare these days! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

The purpose of a shower is/was to help set up a home or provide what's needed for a new baby. To me, having a shower for those who can well afford to buy what they need is a gift grab. Wedding showers are especially greedy since those attending will also be expected to buy a wedding gift.

I neither wanted nor needed a wedding or baby shower so I didn't have any. 

Esteemed Contributor

I was thinking that like with the holidays my husband and i don't have much we need for the house but my kids will often give us restaurant gift certificates, Supermarket gift cards or even a bottle of wine..................we use ALL of them...haha..............and the restaurant gift certificates actually get us a lovely evening out....we could always use food from the food store.........and we enjoy a bottle of wine once in a while and even better we have some bottles for when we entertain................I was thinking that may be something like that they would definately be able to use over time not too expensive for the guests.....just a thought....

Honored Contributor

As MOG why are you even involved in planning a shower?

If it's for a meet and greet, have a back yard barbecue for everyone or a ladies brunch or luncheon if you don't want the men involved.

Esteemed Contributor

Doesn't the bride's friends or family  host the shower?  Let the couple decide what they need or want.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I wouldn't want a personal shower for myself.  it just isn't something I'd be interested in sharing with the world and I figure 90 percent of the stuff would never be worn or used anyway.

Nor would I. I find the whole idea of other people selecting intimate items for me to be really, really creepy. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

You may want to check Pinterest for ideas. That is a great website for ideas.....Just a warning-you may get hooked! I went on there for Baby Shower ideas for my daughter and found so much and we had a really fun shower!

Respected Contributor

Groom's family traditionally host a  rehearsal dinner.