Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions for bridal shower alternatives

It sounds tacky. I don't care for registries either. Especially, the new honeymoon ones. 

Honored Contributor

When I got married, I already had everything.  I purchased it myself.  I collected items for my “ hope chest” for years.

i requeated no bridal shower.  I am often invited to bridal showers for a couple that have been living together for years.  I think it is tacky, but if they are family, I go. If not related, I decline. 

i always give cash for gifts.  There I still no way I am going shopping, except for a card.

i guess you could always have a shower for the patio/garden area, or for a bar...kinda like a hospitality shower if they need those types of items...or just not have one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A gift card shower is the ultimate in tacky.  The only thing worse and totally classless would be asking for cash gifts.   I have gone to two Boudoir Showers over the years and my daughter plans to give her bff one.  The bride to be has been married twice already and owns a condo.  For Boudoir Showers; the guests give the bride sensual gifts like night gowns, secksy undies, scented candles, silk sheets, body lotion.  Gift certificates to nail salons or hairdressers.   I also went to a kitchen shower once; borth the bride and groom loved to cook and guests gave anything and everything one could use in a kitchen.  I'm sure if you do a Google search, you can find many more ideas for non-traditional bridal showers.

Honored Contributor

I agree with simply having an informal family get together for everyone to get to know the bride and groom.  

Years ago, one of my close friends married and moved into her grandparents home, which was fully furnished.   She had a linen shower, and an old fashioned “pounding”, where guests brought food gifts.   

Honored Contributor

Skip it

Personally I am not in favor a charity “shakedown “either. 

Respected Contributor

What is the actual purpose of the get-together? Is it a chance to visit before wedding? Is it opportunity for relatives to get to know bride/groom? Traditional shower’s purpose? If it’s a mother having party for her son/daughter that’s a party, otherwise I personally view it as asking for more gifts.
I like idea of mom giving grill and asking guests to restrict gift giving to recipes or hints for household.
Close friends, especially those in wedding party, often find themselves tapped out after bridal activities and clothing.
Honored Contributor

Why not just skip the whole thing?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoonwrote:

Why not just skip the whole thing?

I didn't have a bridal shower. I only had a bachlorette fun party. (few people)

Respected Contributor

If they don't need anything, why are you having a shower?  If you want to celebrate the couple, have a party with no gifts.  Definitely don't request cash or gift cards.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl  Throw your daughter in law a Personal Shower.  That is for personal items like sexy nighties, nightgowns, pajamas, personal products like lotions, powders, shampoos.  Every woman would love to have beautiful lingerie.  Personal showers were very popular but I am at an age were I no longer am inviited to showers because my friends children are grown and married.  Cat Very HappyHeart  P.S.  Register at Victoria Secret, Saks Fifth Avenue, Target, Macy's (stores on that order).  It will be a hit with the bride.

kindness is strength