Respected Contributor

Opinions for bridal shower alternatives

My son will be married in September.  He and his finance own a home and it is VERY furnished!  They need very little and I would like to do something other than a traditional shower with registry.  Any ideas?  Does a "gift card shower" sound too tacky?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions for bridal shower alternatives

You might as well ask for cash as gift cards.  Either IMO would be tacky.  How about things for the yard or patio?  That would be fun.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Since you asked.Yes it does sound tacky.I would skip the shower.They already have everything.You don’t want it to 

come across like a gift grab. 

Esteemed Contributor

if they need very little, why not just have a get-together without gifts.....just enjoying the guests....or maybe a donations to a charity....nowadays, most couples have too much.....jmo...

Honored Contributor

are they not registering anywhere?

i have always liked the idea (if they are cooks) of having a party where you ask everyone to bring their favorite recipe for the bride and groom. you can then help create their pre-wedding recipe book or box filled with all of the recipes.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl, I like @sunshine45's idea of a "kitchen" shower, where everyone brings recipes.  Make it a pot luck dinner.

Or, if they have a favorite charity, for example, the local animal shelter, they could ask everyone to bring needed supplies.  If there is a local children's softball or baseball team, they usually need bats, mitts, and things like that.

I would not ask for gift cards, but I think having a gathering of family and friends for celebration is wonderful.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Love the ideas of having a shower to raise money for a charity/cause, or the kitchen/family recipe theme. You could also host a lingerie shower or some other theme in consultation with the couple. If they have everything and don't need anything, yes, it's incredibly tacky to solicit cash or gift cards.

Honored Contributor

I think you should find out what's the norm with your crowd, especially people around the age of the bride and groom. They are the ones that matter here, not the very limited QVC demographic. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

My friend's son had the same thing, fully furnished house so for the shower she gave them a BBQ grill. Since this is your son, you could just out right ask him what do both of you really want?  

Honored Contributor

Yes, requesting gift cards is tacky.  Is your future DIL on the same page with no traditional shower.  You could do a small luncheon with her mother/sisters (?) and her close girl friends.  Or you could make it bigger event and invite the guys since it's non traditional.