Frequent Contributor

Re: Opinions Re Teacher Gifts

Most teachers really do not  expect or want a gift.  The best thing is perhaps a hand-written note.  Those notes are often kept and treasured for years.  Also,  wish QVC would stop having  their hosts suggest the product would "make a nice teacher gift."  Very demeaning.    Another thing:  if someone from outside the classroom is asking for cash to purchase a gift for a teacher,  be warned that money is not all used for the gift.  Some of the money "disappears."  Most teachers are hard working and dedicated professionals who do their best day after day in often challenging and stressful situations.  Let's be thankful for the teachers in our AND our children and grandchildren's lives.  Thank You

Respected Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

It's that time of year when some students give their teacher a gift. Most gifts, while the thought is appreciated, is not wanted. Shouldn't public schools prohibit teacher gifts for any and all occasions?

I like traditions but not all are worthy; some need ended or replaced. In place of gifts perhaps just thank you notes. 

I agree with you and think they should be prohibited.  I'm not even sure a thank you note is needed.  Maybe a verbal thank you on the last day?

I don't have children in school any longer.  

Most people in my neighborhood give lots of gifts.  A bouquet of flowers, $25 gift cards to Target, Barnes & Noble or Starbucks.

One lady takes up donations specifying a minimum of $20 or more from each student to buy one large gift card for giving the teacher from the whole class.  Then she buys a nice card and every student that donated signs it.  There are people that can't donate $20.  I feel sorry for those students/families.

When someone asked what the teacher prefers as a year end gift, most teachers said money is best.

IMO, it needs to be stopped.  The teachers are just doing their job.   

@Sunshine Kate Yes, teachers are doing their job, especially on holidays, summers and every weekend.

I found my 'job' consumed every waking moment. Please note: 40% of teachers in the first 5 years leave the 'job' for good. That is a high attrition rate due to poor pay, demands for higher education (yes, a Masters is deemed necessary and is very expensive. No, not all districts will pay for it-comes out of the teacher's pay.), lack of administrative support, and overwhelming demands while not in the school building, general hours required.

Parents were another issue altogether.

I refused to mentor new teachers, except in 1 case. My advise in general was 'get a degree in business'.

I retired after having to treat breast cancer while teaching FT; only way I could keep my health insurance. No, my employer legally didnt participate in COBRA.

I will not be back to this thread, which comes up every late Spring, to have to "defend" my statements, so you can have at it.

@maestra, I know you won't be back, just wanted to say I agree with what you wrote.  

When I was in college a long time ago, I was advised to NOT go into teaching.  The main reason was lack of pay. 

I was also told to get a degree in business. 

Honored Contributor

It sounds like maestra got a raw deal, but I'll tell you, it must depend on when one taught and where one teaches because those around here are not at all poorly compensated and their benefits are very good. Most of the 'extra' expectations are built into their contracts and, of course, they do get significant time off.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

My opinion is unless I truly wanted to, I wouldn't give them. Period. I also don't tip everyone I trip over. I tip as appropriate and gift as appropriate and I define appropriate... End of story...

It wouldn't be the end of the story for a child who endured the embarrassment, humiliation of finding herself the only student without a gift for her teacher. Instead it would be a painful memory, perhaps lasting a lifetime.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I know nurses who stayed home when their kids were small because it was more cost effective than having 2 or 3 in childcare. Even at a professional nurses salary. 

Respected Contributor

Personally I think it has to do with yours and your child's relation with the teacher and what your child gained/learned from that teacher.  To me gifts are unnecessary, and depending on the results from my 1st sentence, a note of appreciation/thanks would or would not be in order.

Respected Contributor

@firewife wrote:

I am a mom of now 3 adult sons but also a former teacher. My only advise is

that any parent should not feel that they have to purchase any sort of a gift.

I would have loved the personalization of a hand written note so much more.

It is the heart felt feeling behind the note that means more..

@firewife  I came here to say the same thing.  After 25 years of teaching, the letters or cards written by the children and/or parents mean so much to me!Cat Very Happy

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

My opinion is unless I truly wanted to, I wouldn't give them. Period. I also don't tip everyone I trip over. I tip as appropriate and gift as appropriate and I define appropriate... End of story...

It wouldn't be the end of the story for a child who endured the embarrassment, humiliation of finding herself the only student without a gift for her teacher. Instead it would be a painful memory, perhaps lasting a lifetime.

For me, end of story... Others can write their own story. But I'd add that if I'd opted out of a gift along the way and if that memory lasted a life time, I'd be more concerned that the theoretical child in question probably hadn't led a very fulfilling life...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

My grandson is in the 4th grade and has had excellent teachers!  He has always taken a gift at the end of the year.  It has usually been a gift certificate for a restaurant or something along those lines.  If the teacher wants to give it to someone else, have at it.  He is learning the joy of giving a gift sincerely and that it is the taking the time and thought to consider others that is important.  

Last year he had a talk with my daughter and really came up with his own idea.  He wanted to take the supply list from that teacher at the start of the school year and get the supplies, give it to the teacher, and ask for it to be paid forward.  He had noted that some of his classmates didn't have supplies at the beginning of the year, so he and his Mommy worked on that idea.  The teacher reportedly LOVED the gift and idea.  Of course the teacher sent him a thank you note, but after school had started this year his teacher from last year, delivered a sealed note to him with a wonderful message about paying it forward and let him know the goodwill had in fact been passed on.

There are all types of gifts...I would think for some children...making a special homemade card would be just as special to some teachers as any other gift. 

Tomorrow is Mother's Day and many kids out there are in families that will not be able to afford to go out and celebrate or buy a gift for their mother.  Doesn't mean that Mom should be ignored or that buying an expensive gift is an equal representation of love & respect.  Sometimes a hug, breakfast delivered in bed and/or a simple homemade memento is more special than anything.

In the end, it is the thought that counts and those thoughts can be communicated in various ways.  I bet teachers are touched by a simple homemade card at the end of the year.  And if that teacher has had a good relationship with that child.....that simple construction paper card may mean more than any other gift he/she could receive.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

I am a retired teacher and my best gifts I still have...letters, cards, of appreciation about  something I have done on their behalf.  And because I live rural, anything I have done to help someone along the way..my students recognize me and find a way to help me.  One young man on a snowplow saw my (temporary) cane and helped me remove snow from the end of my driveway where is is usually stacked icy and high.  He worked for the county and perhaps should not have been doing that.  Another student made sure my car at the dealership was tip-top.  He was an auto mechanic and remembered me. Another is the manager of a large plumbing company that makes sure I get fast service for my needs.   I guess that is what we call PAY IT FORWARD.