Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions Re Teacher Gifts

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

It's that time of year when some students give their teacher a gift. Most gifts, while the thought is appreciated, is not wanted. Shouldn't public schools prohibit teacher gifts for any and all occasions?

I like traditions but not all are worthy; some need ended or replaced. In place of gifts perhaps just thank you notes. 

@occasionalrain

Since public schools are eliminating all holiday observations ... I think all gifts to teachers should also be eliminated.   I don't even think a thank you  is neceessary.  Teachers are only doing what they are paid to do ... paid with our tax money!  .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

It's that time of year when some students give their teacher a gift. Most gifts, while the thought is appreciated, is not wanted. Shouldn't public schools prohibit teacher gifts for any and all occasions?

I like traditions but not all are worthy; some need ended or replaced. In place of gifts perhaps just thank you notes. 

Since public schools are eliminating all holiday observations ... I think all gifts to teachers should also be eliminated.   

Boy I will go along with that, great ideal @ALRATIBA!! @occasionalrain

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

No, not for teachers, homeroom mom's, bus drivers. Many people with kids are living paycheck to paycheck. 

It often turns in to  competitive sport for the parents to one up another parent.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a friend whose DD has her children in daycare.  Pays a small fortune for that.  On Monday they received a calendar for what each class was to bring for the teachers this week.  Every day they were to bring something, like a treat or flower or something, but also assigned a day to bring a type of food, like Italian or Mexican, for lunch.  But the kicker was for today.  Each child was to bring a gift or gift card for the teachers.

Honored Contributor

I think it's not necessary, or even advisable, to give teachers gifts.  They already ready receive better employee benefits - healthcare and pension - than most of us in the private sector.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@occasionalrain

Since public schools are eliminating all holiday observations ... I think all gifts to teachers should also be eliminated.   I don't even think a thank you  is neceessary.  Teachers are only doing what they are paid to do ... paid with our tax money!  .

@ALRATIBA they are eliminating all holiday observations?

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@occasionalrain

@ALRATIBA they are eliminating all holiday observations?

@Mj12   Yes.  Didn't you see the item re Mothers Day and Father's Day.   And ... all holidays haveing any religious significance have been eliminated or curtailed.

Respected Contributor

I think that shaming children because their parents cannot afford to buy gifts is appalling. I have seen recently that this is now also happening in the lunchroom.

What has happened to our country where it is okay to hurt and insult others, especially children?

I had a dear friend who was an elementary school principal. When she died we came across binders and scrapbooks filled with letters and pictures she had received from students. 

We all need to rethink when it comes to values, feelings, and what is important in life.

Respected Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

No, not for teachers, homeroom mom's, bus drivers. Many people with kids are living paycheck to paycheck. 

It often turns in to  competitive sport for the parents to one up another parent.

That is exactly what it is. Luckily when I was a room mother there were also several down to earth moms involved too. And I am sure there are nice people who volunteer but you want to see why kids are brats, look how their parents who are involved act. It was usually to outshine other parents 

Not meaning to offend anyone, but that's the way it was

Honored Contributor

When I taught high school, at times individual students brought me things.  I remember who they were from and they still make me smile.

I have Christmas tree ornaments that I've had on my tree for over 20 years.