Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions Re Teacher Gifts

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

Maybe this is a regional thing.  When  I went public school in the 60's & 70's,  nobody brought the teacher any gifts.    My son's generation did not do this either.  Of course there was always the stereotype gift of 'an apple for the teacher', but I think I only saw that on TV. 

I went to school during the same time period as you.  I remember taking an apple to my teacher and also cutting flowers from our garden to bring in to gift to her.

Many students did the same, all year long, not at the end of the school year.  

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

My friend is a teacher. I was at her house for a party at the end of the school year. Sitting on her counter was an array of gifts: trinkets, magnets, dry flowers arrangements, note cards, just little things that she had been given for end of school gifts.

She laughed and said "yall take any thing that you want and what you dont take I'll give to my housekeeper." 

I realize that all teachers are not this snobby but keep in mind that thye get lots of unused and unwanted items. 

I don't know why anyone should keep things given to them that they don't want.  I don't know what the woman's attitude was, I wasn't there, but if someone gives you something you don't want, pass it along, donate it, or THROW IT OUT.

It doesn't mean you don't appreciate the thought or feel warm and fuzzy about getting a gift.  It just means you don't want it and don't have to give it space in your house/life.

Respected Contributor

Personally, I find the whole thing a relic from another age.  I have no children, so it doesn't affect me.  But, I think that if teachers want to be treated as professionals, they need to stop accepting gifts.  It just does not compute - you don't give gift cards to your doctor or lawyer or your real estate agent.  Why give gifts to your child's teacher?  JMO.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I still remember my 3rd grade teacher - she got so many unwanted/unneeded gifts throughout each year, she gave them back to the students at the end of the year for little contests like best handwriting or attendance, etc.  Just what every 9 year old needed - a bottle of Jean Nate.

Respected Contributor

Ban teacher gifts...absolutely not! If you choose not to give a gift to someone, that is your choice. But don't stop others from doing. it.  My children are in their 20's now, but when they first started school I volunteered in their classes every week right on up to Jr. high school. Then I worked on committees and fundraisers. I saw first hand  how much teachers put into their careers. How much they cared for the kids. Using their own money for the classroom, all the extra time working after the class had ended. Not show them appreciation for all they do. Unconscionable.  Over the years we have given many teacher gifts. In addition to giving personally, there is a teacher appreciation week. Parents made pot luck lunches for the teachers, hade a masseuse set up 2 chairs for neck massages. Had a warm wax dip for their hands (even the custodians took part in that one) . Teachers do so much for our children. Gifts are great, notes are great. But nothing...ahh no.

Honored Contributor

When I was very little K thru 3 grade we lived in a farm community. My Mom was the principle's secretary and yet we never took gifts to the teachers. No one did this back then. When we moved from there into the inner city people in our neighborhood did not have much spare money and I can only remember a very few kids ever bringing the teachers a gift. Usually it was a box of  candy back then, & it was at Christmas not the end of the year. 

They skipped me over 5th grade and I was having a very hard time with 6th grade - I had a great teacher that year and he really helped me a lot. Payed a lot of extra attention to me and put in time after school tutoring me. At the end of that year my Mom did give him a gift certificate to a department store. That was the only gift we ever gave a teacher.

Honored Contributor

This end of year teacher's gift thing must be  regional because I never heard of such a thing.  We just don't do that here.  Both my girls are married to teachers and there are a lot of teachers in my family and they all say that some students give them thank you cards or notes at the end of the year.  They appreciate the thoughtfuless but they don't receive gifts and if they did receive anything that was worth more than a few dollars, they'd politely decline.  Back when I was in grade school, we wrote thank you notes.  My mom insisted on it and I carried that foward with my own girls.  In middle school and high school, they changed classes so it was up to them to write thank you notes to teachers who they thought deserved a special thank you.  As young ladies, it was their responsibility.  Ditto for Christmas, a Christmas or holiday card but no gifts. 

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

It's that time of year when some students give their teacher a gift. Most gifts, while the thought is appreciated, is not wanted. Shouldn't public schools prohibit teacher gifts for any and all occasions?

I like traditions but not all are worthy; some need ended or replaced. In place of gifts perhaps just thank you notes. 

I agree with you and think they should be prohibited.  I'm not even sure a thank you note is needed.  Maybe a verbal thank you on the last day?

I don't have children in school any longer.  

Most people in my neighborhood give lots of gifts.  A bouquet of flowers, $25 gift cards to Target, Barnes & Noble or Starbucks.

One lady takes up donations specifying a minimum of $20 or more from each student to buy one large gift card for giving the teacher from the whole class.  Then she buys a nice card and every student that donated signs it.  There are people that can't donate $20.  I feel sorry for those students/families.

When someone asked what the teacher prefers as a year end gift, most teachers said money is best.

IMO, it needs to be stopped.  The teachers are just doing their job.   

That's a bit much to specify a minimum amount, especially if you have more than one kid in that same school and not right that the kids that don't donate can't sign the card.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain

As a retired teacher I most appreciated gift cards that I could then share w/family or use to purchase school clothes for myself.

I enjoyed letters of appreciation from students and have kept several; I had some very memorable students.

Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

It's that time of year when some students give their teacher a gift. Most gifts, while the thought is appreciated, is not wanted. Shouldn't public schools prohibit teacher gifts for any and all occasions?

I like traditions but not all are worthy; some need ended or replaced. In place of gifts perhaps just thank you notes. 

I agree with you and think they should be prohibited.  I'm not even sure a thank you note is needed.  Maybe a verbal thank you on the last day?

I don't have children in school any longer.  

Most people in my neighborhood give lots of gifts.  A bouquet of flowers, $25 gift cards to Target, Barnes & Noble or Starbucks.

One lady takes up donations specifying a minimum of $20 or more from each student to buy one large gift card for giving the teacher from the whole class.  Then she buys a nice card and every student that donated signs it.  There are people that can't donate $20.  I feel sorry for those students/families.

When someone asked what the teacher prefers as a year end gift, most teachers said money is best.

IMO, it needs to be stopped.  The teachers are just doing their job.   

@Sunshine Kate Yes, teachers are doing their job, especially on holidays, summers and every weekend.

I found my 'job' consumed every waking moment. Please note: 40% of teachers in the first 5 years leave the 'job' for good. That is a high attrition rate due to poor pay, demands for higher education (yes, a Masters is deemed necessary and is very expensive. No, not all districts will pay for it-comes out of the teacher's pay.), lack of administrative support, and overwhelming demands while not in the school building, general hours required.

Parents were another issue altogether.

I refused to mentor new teachers, except in 1 case. My advise in general was 'get a degree in business'.

I retired after having to treat breast cancer while teaching FT; only way I could keep my health insurance. No, my employer legally didnt participate in COBRA.

I will not be back to this thread, which comes up every late Spring, to have to "defend" my statements, so you can have at it.