Respected Contributor

Re: Opinions Re Teacher Gifts

@scraphappy wrote:

I'm struggling with this right now.  I received an email from the lead parent asking what we (parents) prefer to do for an end of year gift for the teacher....all chip in or individual gifts.  That was followed by another email saying not many responded byt those who did prefer individual gifts.  At the beginning of the school year we were given a list of "likes" for the teacher.  This is what was on the list:  Cheesecake Factory, AMC Movie Theater, Old Navy and Macys.  For Christmas I did give a $50 gift certificate for the Cheesecake Factory and never received a thank you in a form of an email, card/note, or call.  Nothing.  For apprecation week, the school sent out a form with every person who works at the school and you were to check off (if you wanted to) a dollar amount in form of a gift card that you'd like to give.  They also did a luncheon type thing.  I did not "get along" with my child's teacher.  I took a step back because my kid likes her and that was what mattered.  But, to me personally, she wasn't very nice.  I'm still on the fence if I will get her anything.

Whoa.  That was very generous.

Honored Contributor

@RubyinNE wrote:

Thank you, Twins Mom. It doesn't have to be an expensive gift. Just a token of your appreciation. Something else you can do is write a complimentary letter to the teacher's principal or superintendent. That would cost you nothing. 

Hi Ruby, Smiley Happy @RubyinNE   I have not read this entire thread.   I always suggest a letter to the teacher's principal and superintendent.   It costs nothing. 

Hope you are settled in Jersey and liking your new neighborhood.  I always wave to you when I pass through your neighborhood. Smiley Wink LOL

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

It's that time of year when some students give their teacher a gift. Most gifts, while the thought is appreciated, are not wanted. Shouldn't public schools prohibit teacher gifts for any and all occasions?

I like traditions but not all are worthy; some need ended or replaced. In place of gifts perhaps just thank you notes. 

That's just not true-gifts are a nice treat for someone who has worked so hard with your child. I have appreciated every one!

Trusted Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

It's that time of year when some students give their teacher a gift. Most gifts, while the thought is appreciated, is not wanted. Shouldn't public schools prohibit teacher gifts for any and all occasions?

I like traditions but not all are worthy; some need ended or replaced. In place of gifts perhaps just thank you notes. 

@occasionalrain

Since public schools are eliminating all holiday observations ... I think all gifts to teachers should also be eliminated.   I don't even think a thank you  is neceessary.  Teachers are only doing what they are paid to do ... paid with our tax money!  .

Oh NO-teachers do MUCH more than their job AND they pay that tax money also.

Trusted Contributor

@ScrapHappy, your Christmas gift to your child's teacher was, as @Mellie32 said, "... very generous". 

It is too bad this teacher failed in an important teaching moment: to show - Thankfulness -

the teacher lacked appreciation, manners and failed to acknowledge you and her student's thoughtfulness with a simple 'Thank You' note.

~

Perhaps, this suggestion may sound cheap, but it will show that your child wants her to enjoy her summer ... at least for a few hours ... you could help your child make a card related to wishing the teacher a terrific summer and enclose a movie ticket (or two if you want to be generous).  Just a thought. Woman Happy

ScrapHappy, you'll make the right decision for you and your child.  Heart  

~

I have & had teachers in my family, so I understand the extra hours in preparing lessons, grading papers, purchasing supplies with their own money and ...  Teachers have a tough job.When my children were in school, my family and I had always been generous ... all thoughout the year ...  volunteering and giving extra supplies for the classroom whenever needed ... now it is my DD and DDIL's turn and they are always the first to contribute.

~

Honored Contributor

@scraphappy wrote:

I'm struggling with this right now.  I received an email from the lead parent asking what we (parents) prefer to do for an end of year gift for the teacher....all chip in or individual gifts.  That was followed by another email saying not many responded byt those who did prefer individual gifts.  At the beginning of the school year we were given a list of "likes" for the teacher.  This is what was on the list:  Cheesecake Factory, AMC Movie Theater, Old Navy and Macys.  For Christmas I did give a $50 gift certificate for the Cheesecake Factory and never received a thank you in a form of an email, card/note, or call.  Nothing.  For apprecation week, the school sent out a form with every person who works at the school and you were to check off (if you wanted to) a dollar amount in form of a gift card that you'd like to give.  They also did a luncheon type thing.  I did not "get along" with my child's teacher.  I took a step back because my kid likes her and that was what mattered.  But, to me personally, she wasn't very nice.  I'm still on the fence if I will get her anything.

My recommendation is to give her a box of personalized Thank You notes.

Esteemed Contributor

I never gave a gift to any of my teachers in grammar or high school.  But, when I returned to school as an adult, I gave my professor a gift certificate to a local nice restaurant.  She cured my math anxiety and went above and beyond for her students.  She even administered a final exam to a student who went into premature, in the hospital labor room.  The young woman would not have been able to graduate and being a mother herself, she knew once the lady went home, she would be busy with her baby. They both agreed to it of course. 

Honored Contributor

I just gave kids teacher a gift card to Starbucks. Shame on me!

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Although I am a teacher, I will add my two-cents. I teach 7th grade English, 11th grade American Lit, and 12th grade British Lit.  Traditionally, middle and high school teachers never receive gifts for Christmas or end of the year (students have too many teachers at that level).  I have received personal notes and cards from my students, and those are the most meaningful to me. 

As a parent, I have given gifts to my childrens' teachers, but as they got older, they had more teachers.  That is when I stopped with the gifts.  It is just too expensive.

Valued Contributor

I would suggest Gift Cards.....................

@Mel31