Respected Contributor

Re: Opinions Re Teacher Gifts

@occasionalrain wrote:

It's that time of year when some students give their teacher a gift. Most gifts, while the thought is appreciated, are not wanted. Shouldn't public schools prohibit teacher gifts for any and all occasions?

I like traditions but not all are worthy; some need ended or replaced. In place of gifts perhaps just thank you notes. 

What is up with so many people here wanting to take all of the JOY out of schools?  Jeez.

Respected Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

It's that time of year when some students give their teacher a gift. Most gifts, while the thought is appreciated, are not wanted. Shouldn't public schools prohibit teacher gifts for any and all occasions?

I like traditions but not all are worthy; some need ended or replaced. In place of gifts perhaps just thank you notes. 

What is up with so many people here wanting to take all of the JOY out of schools?  Jeez.

@Mellie32 ROFL, mellie. What have been YOUR favorite gifts from your students. And Hi! Nice to see ya. Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

@cody2 wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Mellie32 ROFL, mellie. What have been YOUR favorite gifts from your students. And Hi! Nice to see ya. Smiley Happy

Heya.  My favorites are handwritten letters and cards, of course. 

Some others ....

One year a student remembered that I love The Princess Bride, so she (well, her mom) gave me a pillow with "As you wish!" on it.  I have it in my living room.  Another year my room mother pooled together money from other parents and got me a big basket full of my favorite things plus a gift card to buy more books.  I had a student teacher this year and she remembered that I said I wanted to buy something for my classroom, but I thought the price was too high.  She found it on sale and got it for me.  I cried. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Those of you who feel they should ban teacher gifts are unbelievable! Often, there is a thread on how to tip your UPS driver, your mail carrier, the hairdresser, etc.  Yet, your child's teacher spends more time during the day with your children than you do. They teach your child how to read, which to me is a forever gift.  They are like moms to your children when you aren't with them. Teachers do so much for your children, every day. I'm retired now, but I can't begin to tell you how much I spent of my own money when I went grocery shopping between bottles of glue, markers, games, craft supplies, etc. I'm not complaining, I was doing my job. So please think about giving a token of your appreciation.  Yes, they are doing their job, but so is your hair dresser, the UPS person, etc. Stop being so ****** cheap, bitter and whiny about your child's teacher.  I just don't get your reasoning. <smh>

Respected Contributor

RubyinNe, thank you for your valid remarks and solid perspective. True that teachers are doing a job like so many others. In some cases, however, especially if they are teachers or caregivers for the very young, they probably are being paid much less than thought. Childcare is not inexpensive like others have pointed out, but the actual caregiver or teacher is not getting the bulk of the cost. Divide the cost by the hours spent with those children, parents' most valuable possessions. How many think nothing of spending $100 for attending sporting event but find that out of line for two days of childcare, protecting and teaching those children. A thank you note does mean a lot. Even a $5 gift card is many times thoughtfully appreciated. (There are exceptions, of course)
Respected Contributor

@granddi wrote:

My friend is a teacher. I was at her house for a party at the end of the school year. Sitting on her counter was an array of gifts: trinkets, magnets, dry flowers arrangements, note cards, just little things that she had been given for end of school gifts.

She laughed and said "yall take any thing that you want and what you dont take I'll give to my housekeeper." 

I realize that all teachers are not this snobby but keep in mind that thye get lots of unused and unwanted items. 

@granddi wrote:

My friend is a teacher. I was at her house for a party at the end of the school year. Sitting on her counter was an array of gifts: trinkets, magnets, dry flowers arrangements, note cards, just little things that she had been given for end of school gifts.

She laughed and said "yall take any thing that you want and what you dont take I'll give to my housekeeper." 

I realize that all teachers are not this snobby but keep in mind that thye get lots of unused and unwanted items. 

My sister is a first grade teacher.

She gets lots of gifts for Christmas and also at the end of the year.

Her most valued gifts are gift cards to places like Amazon, Target, etc.  She uses those to buy supplies for her classroom.

She likes Starbucks gift cards, too.

Other things like candles, knick knacks, etc. ...not so much.  Of course, she doesn't let the kids know this.  She tells them thank you and how much she likes each gift.

Then she comes home and lets us pick out anything we want.  The rest goes to Goodwill.

I don't see anything bad about giving teachers gifts.  Most teachers, like my sister, spend a lot of their own money to buy things for their classrooms and students to use.

So in a way, it's a nice gesture.  But I think those that can afford to should stick to gift cards to places where the teachers can buy educational items, or a treat like Starbucks, a dinner out, etc.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

Thank you, Twins Mom. It doesn't have to be an expensive gift. Just a token of your appreciation. Something else you can do is write a complimentary letter to the teacher's principal or superintendent. That would cost you nothing. 

Super Contributor

Good response, Marie! We certanly don't go into teaching to be rich and famous. We LOVE kids!  

Super Contributor

How are you doing Mellie?  I finally retired, but am volunteering in a local school. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@RubyinNE wrote:

How are you doing Mellie?  I finally retired, but am volunteering in a local school. Smiley Happy

It's the end of the year --- I should be super frazzled and stressed out, but I'm feeling great.  This year went really fast and didn't have too much drama.