Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions RE Mother/Father Holidays at School

It's compassionate, and increasingly relevant... bravo.

And sensitive to the many kids who are without one or both parental figures due to death, divorce, or another type of separation.

Honored Contributor

I think that's an excellent policy and long over due.  I hope to see more of it.  Actually, Mother's Day and Father's Day should be discarded and replaces with Parent's Day for honoring parents and parental figures.  Inclusion....not exclusion.  Families can do what they want at home but no child should be made to feel "less" or be excluded in school. 

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Why is this sort of thing in school to begin with? There must be a better use of their time.

I agree.  When we were selecting schools for our girls, how the schools celebrated Mothers Day and Father's Day wasn't part of the discussion....lol  Once again people are reading into this thing.  No where did it say don't celebrate those days,  it said there is no place for it in the school setting.  Individuals, communities, families can celebrate them as they always have. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm okay with the ending of the practices at school.  There's too many blended, broken, single family homes and it wouldn't be fair to burden the children to make something for just one mom/dad /guardian. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

They could easily call it "Loved Ones" card/activity. Not having those people come in for it, but let the little ones make and decorate a card for whoever is most special to them. Let them choose who they make it for, if no "mom" is in their life.

Sure, there are all versions of "family" nowadays.

Every little kid LOVES giving their particular loved one, be it Mom, Dad, step-Mom, two Moms, two Dads, whatever a special, made by them, card.

The children that need this activity the most are the ones that are in homes where no one thinks to take the child out to get their "loved one" a special card or small gift, nor do they pay enough attention to them to help them make something a home. These kids love their caretakers just as much as a "normal family", even if they don't get much attention.

Then the day comes, and they feel bad because they do not have anything. They see the commercials, they know what is going on for holidays. They depend on adults to help them, a 30 minute activity in school is not that hard to do.

The school does not have to do away with honoring mothers, fathers, caretakers etc.

Kids feel so proud to present their (whatever they made). They also get the lesson to think of others, express their love, show their feelings.

More kids NEED to show others their love, and realize the world is not all about them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many private high end schools for the rich have been doing this for years.  Kelly Ripa said the schools her children go to don't celebrate any holidays.

Honored Contributor

That letter just makes me sad. I remember the times my children "bought" me some cute little trinkets from the "store" their school had. They were always so proud and excited to give it to me. I still have a very tacky pair of gaudy earrings my youngest gave me. He just beamed when I wore them! Political correctness is the demise of our youth of today.

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

I have pretty strong feelings about this. There are so many reasons that parents can't attend school events, many have been mentioned here. I was a volunteer for years and came to feel that there are too many extra curricular events and too many school holidays. I saw hurt in kids eyes whose parents could not or did not attend events. Let's leave the Hallmark holidays for home.
Respected Contributor

School is for education.  Every religious or non-government holiday should be ignored by the schools. If equality is their goal, uniforms would go a long way toward uniformity for all.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Holidays, Personally I think they are a great window into understanding other cultures.  BUT,If you don't have enough for everyone, put it away.

Honored Contributor

Father's usually get the shaft when it comes to the holiday as it relates to kids making you something at school, or having any kind of celebration/remembrance at school, as school is out for the summer before Father's Day arrives.

I don't see a need at all to bring parents separately into the school to honor them for the day, but it has been traditional for kids to make something for their mom's at school (usually some kind of an art type project) to take home to them. I think this had it's base in the fact that traditionally and in the past, moms were the  ones helping out at school, and doing the most hands on with kids. 

Life has changed and in my opinion, if schools still want to do something like this, I don't see why, because of Father's Day being outside the school year, they can't have a 'relatives' day and celebrate that way. My son's school did this, and the school was open for the day, plays were presented, lunch provided, tours of their various classes to view their projects, work and studies, etc. Gifts were made ahead of time, and any and all of a child's relatives were invited...parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, even friends. It was kind of an extended open house, with a chance for kids to show whoever in their lives they wished to invite, what their school was all about, and what they were doing and working on.

This kind of alleviates all the who has two mommies, who doesn't have a dad, who is being raised in foster care, who lives with grandma kind of issues. There of course will always be some child somewhere that has no one to show up for them at all. My mom was that kid all of her life. No one ever came to anything to support her and it hurt. She still feels that hurt today. But she would never take the experience away from the those in the vast majority that did/do have people to support them. 

No matter what we talk about...... any given holiday, a school play, the offering of a community meal, a concert in the park.....there will be someone feeling left out because they don't celebrate it, can't get to it, don't believe in it or support the 'cause', have no one to come share it with them. But that can't be the reason we simply don't do it. We don't deny the rights of the others to celebrate, share, enjoy, partake.

We attempt to know who may be feeling left out (the teachers know which kids will have no one show up, in this case) surround them with a little more attention from the staff, encourage other parents to include/interact with those students (no one ever had to do this at my son's school, parents simply embraced all the kids and interacted with them about their work and performance) and carry on. 

Being inclusive is a great thing. Denying or eliminating things just because a very small percentage of the people might feel left out, is not, even when it involves children. We have to stop this notion that the entire group must not observe/celebrate/participate simply because one may not.