Esteemed Contributor

Re: Opinions, Please (School Related)

@tessam wrote:

I am a school psychologisy and college advisor.

@tessam 

Would you enlighten me on what it means to be a school psycholgisy?

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@tessam wrote:

@tessam 

hckynut 🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn- it's a simple typo

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy JMO, but this is probably about concerns that students are getting help with their work, and those bots that can now write essays.  I am hearing in the news that the only way to guard against these things is to have the student do the work in front of the teacher.  So maybe that is what the teacher is doing.  Is her school very competitive?

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy ==> I will speak for myself as an adult with no children. I was back in school in my late 40's studying for a certificate in MRI Technology at a local community college that ran concurrently with clinical work at Loyola University. My class in MRI physics was far and above the most difficult thing I have ever encountered. I have always exceeded in math and had physics previously in my radiology courses several years earlier, but this was something else. MRI physics is quite difficult in and of itself.

The instructor used essay questions in all quizzes and had them on regular tests as well, many times asking for  examples in pictures to be drawn. This caused some to drop out of the program and did cause an enormous amount of stress for everyone. He did grade on a curve though. I don't remember my final grade for the class, probably a B. I was always on the Dean's list as an adult.

I will say that this did ensure that I studied, not memorized, the material. Memorizing, answering T/F, or picking a multiple choice answer is always far easier.

Honored Contributor

'Gee' I'm glad I'm no longer in school. 

Especially Elementary and Middle schools.

And, then in High School there were required Spanish classes (conjugating verbs, etc.)  Not conversational.  A total waste of my time, imo. 

'Anyway', there is much stress now-a-days.......because of time / years gone by, so much more to learn and memorize about almost every subject.

Well, wishing all students well.  

Thank goodness for computers ........ easy to 'look up' information in daily workplace.  No need to memorize every single detail, in most/many cases. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes I think that young adults need to find out for themselves how they can improve. I find that parents should be involved in tbeir children's lives but at the same time let them feel free to get more insight on their shortcomings. 

Writing essays to answer questions is more challenging than multiple choice. It gives them a chance to analyze and discover more in depth what they have learned. I think your daughter will be fine if she is given the opportunity to handle tnis situation herself. When she goes to college, she will have to think for herself and make wise decisions.. There is more to life than grades. Don't make her feel less than because of several setbacks. She will survive.

Valued Contributor

@elated wrote:

"Writing essays to answer questions is more challenging than multiple choice. It gives them a chance to analyze and discover more in depth what they have learned. I think your daughter will be fine if she is given the opportunity to handle tnis situation herself. When she goes to college, she will have to think for herself and make wise decisions.. There is more to life than grades. Don't make her feel less than because of several setbacks. She will survive."

I agree. She can talk to the teacher directly and discuss what may help her going forward. Parents tend to mollycoddle their kids and it's not good for them. They need to stretch their wings and learn certain things on their own. This will give her confidence a big boost and she'll be proud of herself. Remember, you won't be there to sort things out forever. JMO
Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@tessam wrote:

@tessam 

hckynut 🇺🇸

Advisor in/on Physiology, Psychology, or?

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@tessam wrote:

@tessam 

hckynut 🇺🇸

Advisor in/on Physiology, Psychology, or?

hckynut 🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn- most likely Psychology

Trusted Contributor

I have a junior in HS. This is their norm. For some, it's a nightmare because they don't pay attention in class, they don't do assignments, they simply are not prepared. For others, it's simply an exercise in listening and reviewing their notes of the day.

I asked my junior what his are like and he said 3-4 questions, short answer essay. He looks upon it as review and find them easy. Not stressed out at all and never knows when they'll happen. We follow his grades in Canvas and if we have concern, we ask him about it. If there are issues, he goes to his teacher and works it out. Other than giving him suggestions on how to do this (especially when he was a freshman and a few nudges as a sophomore), we don't interfere. He handles it now 100% of the time. We have yet to speak to a teacher in any capacity this year (other than the one he will be traveling to Italy with this summer as part of an exchange program). 

"Coming to ya from Florida"