Esteemed Contributor

Re: Opinions, Please (School Related)

@ScrapHappy A statement someone wrote to me made me take a look at your post again, thinking I may have missed something, and the thing that struck me is that you wrote one bad quiz took her grade in a class from an A to a C.  You state she gets many quizzes.  The fact that one bad quiz, when she has had many A and B quizzes, would have such a big impact on her grade seems odd.  Did that particular quiz had extra weight in her grade?  Maybe there are other quizzes or factors that you are not aware of.

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@ScrapHappy A statement someone wrote to me made me take a look at your post again, thinking I may have missed something, and the thing that struck me is that you wrote one bad quiz took her grade in a class from an A to a C.  You state she gets many quizzes.  The fact that one bad quiz, when she has had many A and B quizzes, would have such a big impact on her grade seems odd.  Did that particular quiz had extra weight in her grade?  Maybe there are other quizzes or factors that you are not aware of.

My daughter says that her teachers are giving out more quizzes this semester.  And that the quizzes have very few questions.  Some as little as 3 questions.  She is a very good student.  Studies a lot, even on weekends.  Her quizzes have all been A's except for the occassional B and it's always a high B, like 89.  But the one quiz she didn't get an A or a B, she took a hit.  She took an Algebra test the other day, the test was only 11 questions.  Now she gets very nervous about how many questions the teachers in all her classes will give on tests and quizzes now.  And she already had test anxiety to begin with.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to hear about the test anxiety @ScrapHappy. This is a common problem, maybe others have ideas on how to fight it.

I would suggest meditation and relaxation techniques, but don't know if they are good for 11th grade age children.

I think for sure she should practice her test taking and essay drafting under pressure skills outside of the classroom, so she is ready.  She can do this on her own, time herself.  Maybe you give her essay questions, or she can get some sample essay questions for practice from her teacher.  Maybe the teacher appreciates her desire to improve.  I think building "muscle memory" by practicing builds confidence.  

She may also take pressure off herself by not trying to write perfect essays all the time.  When she has to write an essay and feels stuck, maybe she could start just jotting down some notes with space in between, and then fill in the essay around them.  If she doesn't finish the essay because she runs out of time, maybe she gets credit for the knowledge reflected on the notes.  Sometimes just getting started with the writing gets the pressure off.

Best of luck for her!  She can do this!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Your daughter sounds like an excellent student, so as long as she prepares, she should be fine in the end. It is obvious that the fewer the questions, the more each one is worth.