Honored Contributor

Opinions Needed: Blackout Curtains

I'm in a situation where I need to get blackout curtains for my bedroom.

Currently I just have blinds w/ molding, so I know the idea of 

curtains will be something I have to accept. =:/

My question...would it be better to get

regular curtains w/ blackout liners (double thickness) or

a curtain where the liner is built in (all in one)?

Any pros/cons with each?  TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions Needed: Blackout Curtains

I refused to put up curtains or blinds in our log cabin, but we are in a quirky part of our time zone and it gets light at 4 am.  So I ordered a mask from Amazon and use that instead.  Takes a bit of getting used to. 

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom  I prefer all in one. Easier to pull back for light and only one curtain rod.

Honored Contributor

The difference between the two types is minimal.  

I'd personally chose the single thickness because two layers are a little more difficult to wash, and deal with.

Esteemed Contributor

I have the all in one for mine

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have blackout curtains in all bedrooms, as well as my living room which gets full late afternoon sun.   

My living room curtains came from JC Penney, and are grommet top, regular curtains with a double thick white liner to block the sun, and light.   I love them.   

The newest blackout curtains are rod pocket panels, and are in my daughters bedrooms; mid weight polyester and came from Brylane Home.   My girls like them better than any curtain they've ever had in their rooms.  Trucker daughter has 2 windows in her bedroom, and with the curtains drawn, it is nighttime dark, even if it's 1:00 in the afternoon on a bright sunny day.   She finally has the same level of darkness in her room that she has inside the zippered sleeper area of her big rig.   

Respected Contributor

Would a room darkening shade work? They have them at Menards, Home Depot, etc.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I use the all in one and have for years in my bedroom, plus blinds.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

How about just adding a pull-down darkening shade?  I did that in my bedroom window.  It already had vertical blinds, but I just installed the shade underneath them.  There's a post light right under my window, so my bedroom would be lit up all night without it, and I can still open my Anderson window for air.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

All in one from JC Penney's.................  And I had to get a large one to cover a sliding glass door..........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”