Respected Contributor

Re: Opinions Needed: Blackout Curtains

The Sunzero (brand) Ludlow (syle name) curtains from Kohl's are excellent blackout curtains. They're lovely fabric, not plastic, they don't wrinkle, they really work, and they're inexpensive. I love them. They come in a variety of colors. I have two sets and am very pleased with both.

Super Contributor

You can also buy blackout curtain fabric and the fabric store, like JoAnne's, on sale for like $5.00 a yard and its 48 inches wide.  Just fyi for you do it you selfers.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Nightowlz,

Just curious...are your roman shades mounted inside the frame of the window? Mine are mounted on the outside of the window frame so no light enters the room when they are down. I had them made so that they cover the window and overlap the wall about six inches all around.

@SilleeMee No. I have them mounted inside the frame. They may work better if you order to size but those are expensive. 

Respected Contributor

I bought some a while back from Jc penneys with the grommet at the top and they are very nice.  I have some older ones and they are thick and stiff and look like black out curtains but the newer ones are nice and soft and really keep out the heat as well as the light.

Honored Contributor

I have had both sets of curtains.

I have had the black out curtains panels and curtains over that. wow the room was black dark.

I went to just black out curtains now, they are not as good in my opinion.

I should have stuck with purchasing new black out liners and putting up the old curtains over the black out curtains.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

I didn't see this previously mentioned, but there's a difference between thermal and blackout curtains.  

Thermal help keep out the heat or cold, and blackout just dramatically reduce light.   Occasionally, you'll find curtains that do both.  

I don't know if this matters, but just wanted to add my two cents.