Honored Contributor

@moto wrote:

SF native here, and I work downtown in the financial district dodging the mentally unstable and homeless every day.

I can imagine how it seems disgusting, but I have to give them credit for trying something. We all have to go.

Indeed, but it still doesn't explain them making it so "open air".  How much more would a proper screen around it have cost?  It's so exposed and even in the photo, there are people all around.  I wouldn't want to see that and I definitely wouldn't want any children around it.

Honestly, if I was a visitor arriving by train in SF and saw that?  I'd be on the next train out.  JMHO.  There are a lot of places in the world with higher populations that have managed to deal with human "needs" without resorting to that.

Super Contributor

You know, I just recently saw a rerun of an episode of The New Adventures of Old Christine, a hilarious sitcom.  Christine was complaining that her little boy couldn't wait til the weekends, when he stayed and played with his dad, Christine's ex. She was jealous of their fun!

The ex, Richard, was thrilled to explain how he and Richie peed in the communal trough at a pro hockey game!  Unfortunately, Richie dropped his big foam #1finger in the trough and had to abandon it! Poor munchkin! Smiley Happy

Contributor

Yes, why do men need and not women??

Honored Contributor

@missy1

For real?  Disgusting!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Re: Open Air Urinals in CA

[ Edited ]

The idea of someone urinating and/or defecating in public is revolting to say the least. To find it is a common occurrence in America breaks my heart. I know in some places in Europe one must jump out far from the curb when stepping down from the sidewalk, but I had no idea raw sewage on the streets and sidewalks was commonplace here. Public restrooms need to be maintained regularly and are magnets for the homeless, prostitutes and junkies. Perhaps the genii in Silicon Valley could come up with a tenable solution.

dee

Honored Contributor
Super Contributor

@rrpell wrote:

@Moretofollow wrote:

You can now urinate in public.  

Do you like this idea? Supposedly it was built to prevent men from going in the bushes.  

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/open-air-urinal-san-francisco_us_56accc58e4b00b033aaf4be9

http://fox40.com/2016/02/05/some-say-san-franciscos-open-air-urinal-must-go/

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/02/12/urinal-public-park-san-francisco-angers-residents 

I guess what I have difficulty understanding is why it has to be "open air" and open enclosure.  It appears to be a concrete floor with a drain.  Is there a problem with screening the whole thing?  I can't imagine anyone would want to hang out in a toliet (if they are worried about safety if it is enclosed).  If they have to have them, then why not screen the whole thing?

Several years ago when I was in Amsterdam they had these public urinals, but they were fully screened (a round screen around the are where they "go."  I remember being kind of disgusted by it (not to mention the smell!).  I also wondered where the women were supposed to take care of business. I guess it would be possible for females to use these "screens," but it would have to be a dire emergency for me to do so.

In Paris they have the "booths" that supposedly self-sanitize when someone is done, but I never used one and I'm not sure I would trust it.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Moretofollow wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

6a00e54f10a098883401bb0879c5bb970d-500wi (306×184)

London has these. A better idea.

How do those work?  The guy climbs in and then goes down into the basement and then back up to be released from the obelisk?  I bet it smells too but at least it's private.  I wonder if it has a sink to wash their hands. 

Is this thing in the ground and there is a switch or something for it to come up when needed?  Really strange.  There aren't enough bathrooms around from when you leave home until you get to where you want to be that you have to use this?  Is this for women too? 

Respected Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

See op first link , there is a drain.

The London ones pop up for awhile, then go down.

@missy1 - When you say the London one pops up for awhile then goes down, I wonder if the person inside has some control over this?  What if it goes down while you're still using it? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Open Air Urinals in CA

[ Edited ]

@Winkk wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

See op first link , there is a drain.

The London ones pop up for awhile, then go down.

@missy1 - When you say the London one pops up for awhile then goes down, I wonder if the person inside has some control over this?  What if it goes down while you're still using it? 

http://www.citymetric.com/horizons/toilets-are-popping-city-streets-night-534

They pop up at night. Somebody on  a moped did get hurt when this urinal popped up. I think they come up at a certain time and then go down.