Honored Contributor

Re: Oops, She Did It Again: Jessica Simpson’s A Train Wreck On HSN

[ Edited ]

Whether JS took a xanex or not, i don't know. I am not a follower of hers, and as I said have only heard her sing years ago.  But she seems nice, and does work hard. If she shares that info, fine. I feel badly for her.  I am sure she was not drinking. 

Drinking is something that is closely watched since the days Truman Capote  destroyed his interview on drugs and alcohol. Also, with live TV there is a bathroom issue.  it is not that easy to walk off stage and have a bathroom break.  It isn't just that guests make a fool of themselves, but they ruin the interview for the show host.  And man do the stars of the show get miffed when that happens.!  No kidding, Johnny Carson and others have banned certain people from their shows because of making them look bad. And the guests on some live shows are only on for 5 or ten minutes, and they have a seat. The guests are usually kept in a green room for a couple hours, or longer.  They are prepped, relax and review line up.  Usually no alcohol is allowed, not even smoking.  But you could go to the bathroom and take a swill I guess, or chug a bottle from your purse. It is not unheard of.

I know QVC has a green room, I am sure HSN does as well.

Jessica Simpson seems like she developed extreme performance anxiety  many years ago.  She even quit performing for a while after she blanked out on stage, and another performer had to save her.  She wasn't drunk then.

Also, I agree with head of HSN, when he explained 2 hours of live TV is not  like regular TV.  There is no script, nothing is taped,the bright lights almost make your head swim, and standing  (especially in high heel) can be debilitating. There are no breaks, or do overs or retakes.  What happens, happens.

Honored Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

The videos are all over the internet.  If a celebrity needs to take Xanax to go on air to present her clothing and accessory line, then she needs to hire a rep, and NOT her mother.

The look on Colleen's face when Jessica was discussing her gray jeans and her sister sharing pants with her husband said it all.

Google her name a lot of articles come up mentioning her suspected pill dependence.  If all the articles are unsubstantiated, I have not read that she's suing any of the tabloids or celebrity sites.

I never said she should need a Xanax.  I simply stated, I think she took a benzo.  That's my personal opinion.  I sold psych drugs for 17 years.  I'm familiar with what benzos do, what atypical antipsychotics do and what antidepressants can do to peoples' mood, etc.  She looked like she was on xanax.  

It wasn't professional, but I think she acts ditzy in general--with or without a mood-altering drug.  Perhaps she was on nothing.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

i saw jessica on jimmy fallon about 2 weeks ago and she was perfectly normal.  she was not ditzy and she spoke well regarding her business and family. 

i did not see her on hsn, maybe sales un-nerve her or she was nervous about her first time being on there.  maybe it's her mother.  who knows?

i don't think she has any substance abuse problem based on what i saw.

Trusted Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

The videos are all over the internet.  If a celebrity needs to take Xanax to go on air to present her clothing and accessory line, then she needs to hire a rep, and NOT her mother.

The look on Colleen's face when Jessica was discussing her gray jeans and her sister sharing pants with her husband said it all.

Google her name a lot of articles come up mentioning her suspected pill dependence.  If all the articles are unsubstantiated, I have not read that she's suing any of the tabloids or celebrity sites.

I never said she should need a Xanax.  I simply stated, I think she took a benzo.  That's my personal opinion.  I sold psych drugs for 17 years.  I'm familiar with what benzos do, what atypical antipsychotics do and what antidepressants can do to peoples' mood, etc.  She looked like she was on xanax.  

It wasn't professional, but I think she acts ditzy in general--with or without a mood-altering drug.  Perhaps she was on nothing.

I was not addressing any specific posts. 

Like you I gave my opinion.

Contributor

@skylark:  I am so surprised that you said JS reminded you of Anna Nicole Smith.  I was just thinking that today.  The behaviours and siutation are so similar, with everyone saying, "Oh, she's always like that; she's from the south and that's how she talks, she always slurs her words..." It appears that no one is taking the situation seriously.  It is shocking that her mother is right there witnessing this, too.  JS has 2 young children.  I watched a bit of her on HSN.  It was very distressing, so I quickly changed the channel.  I truly hope she gets the help she needs.

Respected Contributor

@merory wrote:

@MoJoV:  I am so surprised that you said JS reminded you of Anna Nicole Smith.  I was just thinking that today.  The behaviours and siutation are so similar, with everyone saying, "Oh, she's always like that; she's from the south and that's how she talks, she always slurs her words..." It appears that no one is taking the situation seriously.  It is shocking that her mother is right there witnessing this, too.  JS has 2 young children.  I watched a bit of her on HSN.  It was very distressing, so I quickly changed the channel.  I truly hope she gets the help she needs.

I had similar thoughts.  This is not the kind of behavior you sweep under the rug or make excuses for. 

Esteemed Contributor

I know we all see things differently but honestly I thought she was nervous, who knows.....

Honored Contributor

I had to laugh about the President of HSN addressing this and saying she wasn't drunk.  What was he going to say?  I wouldn't go so far as to say she was drunk without having proof but just because he made a statement doesn't make it a fact either.  He certainly isn't going to admit she showed up drunk out of her mind.

I was told her antics even made our local news in Cleveland.  If this was all over the news like it was, it had to be bad and what I saw was.

That being said, her items didn't sell out.  Saturday I went on-line to HSN and almost everything is still available in most colors and sizes.  Either HSN was quick to put up the sold out banner or a lot of people canceled.   

Honored Contributor

I've watched numerous videos.  I grew up with a mother who mixed alcohol and prescription drugs.  Jessica Simpson looks like a person who needs help now.