Honored Contributor

Re: Ontario Banning Pit Bulls

(thread title)

Why? Do they not have pet Laws similar to our country? There may be some places in our country that do not have laws, but most of the ones I have seen and heard say:

"Your pet must be under your control at all times".

One again blaming animals for the irresponsibility of their owners. Sure I know the history of Pitbulls and also Rottweilers, some like a few other "domestic animals", can be dangerous. 

If they find an owner guilty of neglect or irresponsibility for the Pitbull? Ban them from the country, there are a lot of borderless countries out there now?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@croemer - this is true - we had weimarners as I said before and we wanted coverage in case they would bite anyone because even very well trained dogs can attack. Erie Ins was happy to cover us but it was pricey.

An example of a very well trained and gentle dog attacking - we were at the marina and had our boat docked waiting for DH to bring the trailer to get boat out of the water.Our dog was sitting in the boat where I had told her to stay, and normally she would have done so. A drunk man came and pulled his boat and trailer up in the lane in front of me to put his boat in the water - well you can't do that while I was docked to get out of the water so I called up to him to move and he argued with me, I approached him to try to explain why he had to move and he poked me with his finger which made me slip on the wet dock and fall backwards.In a nanosecond  my dog was out of that boat , up the dock and had him on the ground standing over him snarling. I had to scramble to my feet and pull her off him. Never in a million years did I think she would ever do that. 

Honored Contributor

Wow...what a great dog!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Trusted Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Many, many little toddlers and babies have been killed by the family pet, a pit bull.

I always thought "it's the owner" until I started researching pit bulls out of curiosity. As a dog lover, you don't want to believe it is the pit bull's temperament but it is - it's in their DNA. It's genetics. I would never own a pit bull.

Once they clamp onto a person they are virtually impossible to get off. Once they get hold of you, kicking them, hitting them, to get them to release just gets their adrenaline flowing.

It's in their genetic code. Why take the chance? With so many different breeds of dogs, it makes me wonder exactly why a person would insist on owning a pit bull although I understand they are popular with drug dealers for obvious reasons.......

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Many, many little toddlers and babies have been killed by the family pet, a pit bull.

I always thought "it's the owner" until I started researching pit bulls out of curiosity. As a dog lover, you don't want to believe it is the pit bull's temperament but it is - it's in their DNA. It's genetics. I would never own a pit bull.

Once they clamp onto a person they are virtually impossible to get off. Once they get hold of you, kicking them, hitting them, to get them to release just gets their adrenaline flowing.

It's in their genetic code. Why take the chance? With so many different breeds of dogs, it makes me wonder exactly why a person would insist on owning a pit bull although I understand they are popular with drug dealers for obvious reasons.......

Interesting, are you a geneticist? 

I assure you mauling people, other animals, etc..is a learned  behavior.  I've run a DNA lab for nearly 7 years. Temperament is not genetic.  

Honored Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Interesting, are you a geneticist? 

I assure you mauling people, other animals, etc..is a learned  behavior.  I've run a DNA lab for nearly 7 years. Temperament is not genetic.  

So you think temperament is not generic?  Silly me for thinking you are incorrect.  Temperament is based on generic and environmental factors.  This holds true for humans as well as animals.  There are many studies to prove it and these studies are still ongoing,

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

(thread title)

Why? Do they not have pet Laws similar to our country? There may be some places in our country that do not have laws, but most of the ones I have seen and heard say:

"Your pet must be under your control at all times".

One again blaming animals for the irresponsibility of their owners. Sure I know the history of Pitbulls and also Rottweilers, some like a few other "domestic animals", can be dangerous. 

If they find an owner guilty of neglect or irresponsibility for the Pitbull? Ban them from the country, there are a lot of borderless countries out there now?

hckynut(john)

Yes, Canada has laws stating your dog must be under control at all times, but not everyone obeys the laws.   There are many cities in the US that it is illegal to own pit bulls.  Some of the states that have these cities include Flordia, Maryland, Ohio, Michigan, Washington, Colorado and New York.  There could be others.

Often the owner of the dog or a family is attacked with no warning.  These laws were passed to protect people.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jtdmum  

You've run a DNA lab for nearly 7 years and still don't seem to understand the difference between "temperament" and "behavior?"

Temperament refers to innate qualities, those that are present at birth, while behavior is the resultant outward manifestation of temperament.  Usually, with animals, we refer to these breed specific behaviors as "genetic memory," thus recognizing that specific behavioral traits are genetically based.

This is present in all dogs, but are not necessarily shown except when called upon.  Enviornmental influences can change these behaviors, thus presenting a dog that is counter intuitive to the breed.  While animal lovers will argue that pit bull type dogs are really little lovers in fur coats, their genetic code can change them in a heartbeat.  

The pit bull type is widely recognized as one of the, if not the, most dangerous temperamental dog alive.  While not a breed, the mix of dogs required to achieve a pit bull type of dog brings with it the possibility of owning a fur-covered IED that can go off at any time.  As some wit previously stated, knowledge IS power.

Honored Contributor

@croemer  She was a fabulous dog and when she  died we got another who was even better. Both dogs were professionally, privately trained  and were great bird dogs too. Both had ribbons in field trials. Our second weim's sire had 34 best of show awards. Breeding really does show on the end product. We miss having a dog every day, but our current home and gypsy lifestyle would not be good for a dog. i'd also be afriad at this age something could happen to us and the dog could be left homeless since we don't have children that would take her in. You hear so often about people who  die or get sick & the poor dog ends up in a shelter. So our dog owning days are done,but the ones we had were great. 

Respected Contributor

Exactly! I love all dogs and would never hurt one, but this poor breed has been so abused and bred to be mean for so long that I just would not feel comfortable around one, no matter how sweet it was! Maybe with all this awareness, the breed can now begin to have the fight bred out of it and in 100 years or so can once again be a family dog!

Now, before I hear from pit lovers, yes, I am well aware that any dog can turn at any time, especially abused, neglected, and dogs taught to be mean! It's just odds are much more favorable that if a dog turns on its family, it won't be my lab!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

I was going to stay out of this Pit Bull thread because I know it's a hot button for so many. However, after reading all of the above comments I just had to add my two cents.  

I have spent over 35 years working in the veterinary profession.    At least 11 of those years were in a veterinary emergency hospital.  It  just broke my heart to hear the voices of terrified people on the phone crying that their beloved small dog or cat had just been attacked by a Pit Bull.  Sadly by the time the majority of them were able to get their pet away the unfortunate animal was usually dead or just on the verge of death.  The few who did make it to our hospital usually did not survive.

The amount of damage that a Pit Bull attack does is just shocking.  They generally do not release until the poor animal is dead.  

It is obvious by my chosen career that I love all animals.  However I will say that I do not care for Pit bulls.  I know you hear all the stories about how someone has a Pit that is the sweetest dog ever. But I can tell you from experience that a Pit Bull is a breed that can be extremely unpredictable around any animal that is smaller.  

There are so many lovely breeds out there that make such wonderful family dogs.  I just cannot see the reason to own any form of a fighting dog.  

I agree that any dog can bite at any given moment, but the bite from a Yorkie is in no way comparable to the damage that a Pit Bull does to either a human or an animal.   When a Pit Bull attacks it means to kill and sadly that is what most of them do.  

I would love to see more places outlaw ownership. If you own a Pit Bull and are a conscientious owner who keeps your dog under complete control then I applaud you.

However I still stick to my belief that a fighting breed is not an appropriate dog to keep as a pet. I've seen my share of dogs come into the hospital after being involved in a dog fight with one of the non-fighting breeds and those dogs usually just require wound clean-up.  They walk out of the hospital on a leash... not in a box.