Respected Contributor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/09/29/a-dog-fatally-mauled-a-canadian-woman-...

Apparently this was in reaction to the latest mauling death of a woman by a pit bull.  It will be illegal to bring new pit bulls into the city.  Those currently having them will have to register them, but a permit, and obey strict rules concerning their care and control.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ontario Banning Pit Bulls

Glad to see this.  I'm not a dog lover or hater, I just think that no matter how well a pit bull is trained, it can turn on anyone at anytime.  Especially hate to see them around children.  Just my opinion. 

QVC Customer Care

Trusted Contributor

Interesting. Of course is Canada and I wont argue the laws of other countries. I guess no matter the breed if someones dog attacks/kills/mauls another person, the owner should be held fully liable, legally and monetarily.....and jailed if their animal kills someone. (well uness the one attacked is trying to maul and kill the owner eh) I guess they are trying to prevent fatalities? Behind any fatal attack is usually the irresonsible owner who says their pet "wouldnt hurt anyone" I never underestimated my dobermans even if they were "gentle" with me. I wonder why is only the pits being targeted but perhaps owning one has become in vogue these days thus the greater number of these types of events????? I wont speculate, argue, project or assume anything based soley on my own experiences with dobies but just a question in back of my mind??

Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/09/29/a-dog-fatally-mauled-a-canadian-woman-...

Apparently this was in reaction to the latest mauling death of a woman by a pit bull.  It will be illegal to bring new pit bulls into the city.  Those currently having them will have to register them, but a permit, and obey strict rules concerning their care and control.

From what the article states it seems to be a poorly written, gut reaction to a tragic event.  Anytime something is judged soley on how it looks shows lack of knowledge.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Used to be St. Bernard dogs that killed the most people. Now with their popularity Pits and Rottys have become the worst killers. It's very sad to me that people are usually the ones to blame for this type of tragedy, but not always, just too many times.

Honored Contributor

I simply don't trust this breed of dogs

Respected Contributor

I' m not really for banning owning the breed.  In some ways, it's like the reaction to guns - altho - by themselves - guns don't kill people - and these badly treated dogs left to their own devices do.

However, in either case, I'd much rather see controls over the people owning each - and past bad behavior should preclude their ability to purchase either.

And, of course, once a mauling/shooting/death occurs, punishment should be swift and there should be no tears or excuses for the poor disadvantaged owner.

QVC Social Team

This post has been removed by QVC because it's argumentative.

Honored Contributor

Stupid.

That's all I have to say about it.