Trusted Contributor

Anyone else in Colorado enjoying these Chinook winds?

Watching your deck/patio furniture fly off to Kansas and wondering which tree will fall on your house…next?

Big Fun!

Honored Contributor

New Mexico braces for 100 hours of 'worst possible' fire conditions

The wind here in New Mexico (Colorado's neighbor to the south) is keeping our state burning.

Our spring winds are legendary.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

@just bee 

We have a High Fire Danger Warning too, but not anything like New Mexico is experiencing.  

Please be safe.

Honored Contributor

@just bee   Let's hope that the fire is out soon.  It must be difficult breathing the air. Bless the firefighters.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

@just bee 

We have a High Fire Danger Warning too, but not anything like New Mexico is experiencing.  

Please be safe.

@Malcontent 

The older I get, the less I appreciate the wind.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I was in Colorado last week, visiting a friend who just moved there. The winds were brutal - even driving was treacherous at times.

Is that typical weather for this time of year?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Only in Colorado

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

@just bee   Let's hope that the fire is out soon.  It must be difficult breathing the air. Bless the firefighters.

@Katcat1 

We have both clear days and days when we can't see the Sandias.

When I was a little kid in Chicago, the wind off the lake would blow me right across Sheridan Road.  Amazing that I was never run over by a bus...

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I was in Colorado last week, visiting a friend who just moved there. The winds were brutal - even driving was treacherous at times.

Is that typical weather for this time of year?

@house_cat 

Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico experience fierce "spring winds" but it seems like New Mexico's winds occur earlier in the season, in March and April.  This is May and it's still windy.

Colorado is seeing gusts that are 70 to 80 miles an hour.  Much worse than anything we're experiencing here.  We're used to blowing sand.  I hate to think of Coloradans being sandblasted.

Driving in this sort of wind is treacherous.  Cars in Colorado are overturning.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat 

It’s pretty typical this time of year.

Two things are certain in Colorado: Chinook winds and a surprise snow storm. lol

Honored Contributor

Re: Only in Colorado

[ Edited ]

I've lived in Colorado for more than 50 years and I don't remember experiencing this kind of relentless, never-ending high wind. Maybe a few days, or a few more, of it but not like this...going on for weeks!...even in the middle of the night!

And worst of all, we're getting the smoke from the NM fires, too.

I had a gust of 102mph blast down my wooden fence. I feared for my life that my tall trees were going to crash down on me in my house. That day my house was shaking like it was on a vibration thingee.