Esteemed Contributor

ticket holder in California won that big jackpot.  Goodness gracious it's worth 2.04B dollars.  Oh well.  I can't miss something I never had.  *crying like a dog*

Blackish Crying GIFs | Tenor

The location where the ticket was sold has received a $1MM check (their cut), but the owner of the winning ticket has not come forward as yet.

This person will have a very grand Holiday season, I suppose.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

I do like to day dream about how many people I could help with money like that.  It is amazing to think one winner!  WOW

Esteemed Contributor

@justashopper wrote:

I do like to day dream about how many people I could help with money like that.  It is amazing to think one winner!  WOW

When the tax man cometh it won't be nearly as much, but still enough to do some good with it (depending on how they winners want it disbursed). 

Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset yes... I saw on the TV after the federal tax and depending on your state tax, the one time pay out option could be around $440,000,000.00

Purposely put the zeros.. LOL>  I would not sneeze at it.  That's for sure.  

Super Contributor

DH won $7000 on the Florida Lotto once. Uncle Sam took $1500 for his cut. Just like the mob.Such huge winnings would really complicate your life. Many times it doesn't end well for winners. 

Esteemed Contributor

@justashopper wrote:

@gertrudecloset yes... I saw on the TV after the federal tax and depending on your state tax, the one time pay out option could be around $440,000,000.00

Purposely put the zeros.. LOL>  I would not sneeze at it.  That's for sure.  

@justashopperThat's way more than half of the winnings. Geez.   $440MM from almost 2.1 B.  A lot of tax taken.  That means over 1B of the winnings will be taken.

Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset It sure is!!  That amount was quoted when the jackpot amount was $1.9B.  So does mean more or less winnings!  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Stylish Lady wrote:

DH won $7000 on the Florida Lotto once. Uncle Sam took $1500 for his cut. Just like the mob.Such huge winnings would really complicate your life. Many times it doesn't end well for winners. 

Hiya @Still Stylish Lady .  Girl after my own heart who loves leather!  LOL.

Good to see you.  I watch that program "The Lottery Ruined My Life" and everyone depicted on that show did in fact have a lot of problems after winning all that money.  Bad decisions, fear of people stealing from you and so on.  The idea of doing good with it might be the best thing for some people because if they give it away, they minimize their own problems.

Esteemed Contributor

@justashopper wrote:

@gertrudecloset It sure is!!  That amount was quoted when the jackpot amount was $1.9B.  I think it got higher since then.  So does mean more or less winnings!  LOL

It really blows my mind about how much they would take......

Windfalls are not taxed like ordinary income that's why.  I remember when I got bonuses at my work, how much they taxed the heck out of it.  It was better they take than for me to have to pay them at the end of the year @justashopper 

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Stylish Lady wrote:

@Still Stylish Lady 

I totally agree that winning that amount of money would really complicate someone's life. Who do you trust to know you won a million dollars or in this case 2 billion dollars? 🤔 

I live a pretty simple life and I am very happy with what I have and have never, ever wanted to be ultra wealthy. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."