Honored Contributor

Re: Online will (no attorney involved)

@Jk9 ............Thank you for trying to help posters here.

My personal experience with my brothers death and no will, and dealing with the state medicare recovery program has been a real eye opener for me.  After 15 month its finally coming to the end.

Saving time & trouble. If I offend you, I am sorry.
Esteemed Contributor

One issue that hasn't been mentioned is getting a will, power of Attorney, durable health POA for a much younger adult with no health issues.  My Son is 33, single and the Legal Guardian of his two pre teen sons.  We did his POA and Health POA online and had them notarized.  We will soon do his Will in the same manner.  He currently has about $15,000 in assets but is the sole heir to our house and some other assets.  We are both senior citizens and if he should die unexpectedly ( before or after us) we can see potential problems. So a computer generated Will at this point is better than nothing.

Respected Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@Natureluvr      I am an attorney.  All the on-line wills I have seen are pretty bad.  I would suggest having an attorney prepare your Will.  

Agreed! Hub and I had an attorney prepare our wills and advance directives last year. It cost $3000. For that price/investment we have peace of mind, knowing that everything was done correctly according to the laws in our state. There were several moments when reviewing things with our Atty, where we realized that certain important legal details would've been overlooked had we tried to do this without professional. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@Jk9 

Bingo!  Many states require a will to go through probate, which is why it is best to put all of your assets in a trust, which by-passes probate.

with all  due respect, you cannot make that statement. A trust is very different and is absolutely not right for everyone. Our estate attorney discussed it with us prior to preparing our wills. I had already researched this topic extensively. It's no big deal to have your will probated in most cases. The main reason that some people prefer a trust is when they don't want anything on public record. Like if they have family secrets about who their heirs are and how their assets will be distributed. My hub and I have no issues. Hence, a will was appropriate. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

Check with their bank.  One of the bank officers may be able to help without charging them. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some states have different requirements for wills to be considered valid.I saw some templates for wills at Staples or OfficeMax a while ago...you could also check LegalZoom.com. A friend of mine set up her LLC using it when she started her own business and it is all legit and valid. 
Edited to add....just called BIL who is an attorney and he said people do simple wills all the time on Legal Zoom, especially if they have a small estate and not a lot of complicated assets to be disbursed. 

Valued Contributor

All of your responses are very helpful. Thank you so much! 😊
Esteemed Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@Natureluvr      I am an attorney.  All the on-line wills I have seen are pretty bad.  I would suggest having an attorney prepare your Will.  

Agreed! Hub and I had an attorney prepare our wills and advance directives last year. It cost $3000. For that price/investment we have peace of mind, knowing that everything was done correctly according to the laws in our state. There were several moments when reviewing things with our Atty, where we realized that certain important legal details would've been overlooked had we tried to do this without professional. 

OMG @fairydogmother ..that's a LOT  of money.   I am often criticized by other attorneys for charging so little for a Will ($150), Advance Directive aka Living Will  ($75) and Durable POA ($75) .... but I can sleep at night knowing I didn't over charge my clients.  

Respected Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

OMG @fairydogmother ..that's a LOT  of money.   I am often criticized by other attorneys for charging so little for a Will ($150), Advance Directive aka Living Will  ($75) and Durable POA ($75) .... but I can sleep at night knowing I didn't over charge my clients.  

I researched a ton of attorneys before hiring ours. $1500 per will is the going rate in the Tampa Bay Area. 

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

Can you elaborate when you say "pretty bad?"