Respected Contributor

Online tour of the Winchester Mystery House

[ Edited ]
Honored Contributor

Re: Online tour of the Winchester Mystery House

[ Edited ]

I love that place.  I grew up near there as a kid.   I remember going by it before it was a State park. Omg, it was ssooooo creepy.  A huge home and out buildings ...all brown, paint gone.  The brown of the wood poked out here and there behind a forest of trees shrubs and weeds.  Winchester Blvd was  bumpy, chip sealed road.  It was a long road starting in Los Gatos  through Campbell, San Jose and into Santa Clara.  It was one of those roads that stopped all of a sudden ...you had to know how to make a jig and a jag to get back on the road.  Sometime in early1970's I remember going by and seeing cleaning, painting, omg it was unbelievable. Now Winchester  is still miles long,with stop light after stop light.  The gates that contain the mansion and grounds are right on the road.  One side of property borders is a freeway. I think the State must have extended the gardens and such, and elaborated them.  There was a lot of property there.  Much of it dirt and not landscaped.  She might have had a small orchard there. I forgot.  I think they took some land for the 280 freeway when the built it.   Such a master piece of work.  Kudos to California for fixing it up like they did.  Who'd a thunk it.

i have been there about 6 times in the  almost 50 years it's been open.  It was always expensive to get a ticket, taking inflation into account.  I mean it's not cheap for family entertainment or for a couple to go. The tickets offer different tours.  It is worth seeing.  The woodwork is amazing.  It is not as fancy as some comparable mansions back east, but probably because it was built in the boom docks at the time. The staircases alone are sort a peek.  Lol.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for posting this ... I enjoyed the tour immensely 😄

Honored Contributor

I have seen a couple of documentaries on the Winchester House.  Mrs. Winchester, to put it mildly, was a certified nut case.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

wow.   when my dd was in girl scouts, we took them on a field trip to the wincehester mystery house.  that was one heck of a long time ago !!  thanks for the memories.  

Esteemed Contributor

This was awesome. Thank you @Sushismom  

Honored Contributor

How were you able to see it?  It is blocked by a $26 voucher sale.  

Trusted Contributor

@Sushismom  Thank you. Hopefully 🤞moderators won't remove your post for containing a link. There is no harm in links that are not about competition in sales for them. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Valued Contributor

Thank you for this.

I too grew up going to this. My mother grew up in Northern Ca after her family had moved from Texas. So we would go and visit relatives during the summer. This was one of the places that was interesting to me and my 6 siblings. 

I went with my about 18 yrs ago. He had never been and he thought it was interesting. And it was a bit cold. He did not expect that. It was November.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

How were you able to see it?  It is blocked by a $26 voucher sale.  

No, it's  not. If you scroll down a bit, there's a "Watch Video Tour" button to be pressed. It's right NEXT to the "Buy Voucher".