Respected Contributor

Re: Online Retailers Getting Very Stingy

@Sooner wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Eee gad just go to you local merchant and shop in person!! I would never pay for shipping! I live rural so online shopping is a lot more convenient but I won't do it if I have to. I much rather shop local. Supporting my own businesses is a big priority for me. 

@ID2 I would WAY rather pay for shipping than drag around town looking for something THEN after hours and miles not find what I want. I'm sorry but with all there is out there, times are changing.

@Sooner  I agree with you.  Being older, I am not comfortable driving in a lot of traffic, freeways, roundabouts, all the things I encounter trying to get somewhere to shop.  Most shipping charges are no more than a gallon of gas and I would use at least two gallons to get to the mall. Shopping online is a blessing for some of us.  Of course, the convenience has my husband threatening to take away my laptop. Smiley LOLSmiley LOL 

Super Contributor

last week I paid $7.00 for shipping a diamonique ring. it was a christmas gift so i had to get it on order as soon as possible. but this was regular delivery charge, not express. 

Respected Contributor

@tarytoo wrote:

last week I paid $7.00 for shipping a diamonique ring. it was a christmas gift so i had to get it on order as soon as possible. but this was regular delivery charge, not express. 

@tarytoo  I'm not defending the shipping charges you paid, but, you have the ring you wanted and you will have it as the gift you wanted to give.  For me, that would be $7.00 worth of relief. 

Respected Contributor

I've encountered the "stingyness" return policies lately also.  I've had problems w/Pottery Barn, BB&B, and just lately Pier 1.  All thru no fault of my ordering.  The strangest thing was when I ordered a couple of pillow covers from Pottery Barn.  Instead I received a large heavy box of medical supplies - all plastic tubing and surgical looking injector type things.  Not anything Pottery Barn would even sell.  It sorta freaked me out.

BB&B sent me incorrect merchandise.  Instead of a set of 2 I got just 1 item.  When I called them up and told them I wasn't sent the correct order they really hemmed and hawed.  It was like jumping thru hoops to get a return label from them.

Just lately Pier 1 sent a piece of merchandise packaged so poorly it was broken into a hundred pieces.  When I called them up the same day I received the broken item, they wanted me to take photos of all the damage and forward the photos to them to determine whether to credit my account or not.  Ridiculous.  I'm really getting leery about the way people are performing their jobs.  Is everyone staring at their cell phones all day and not paying attention to what they are doing?

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

I never have a problem with Macy's or Target. I am a platinum member with Macy's and all shipping is free. The only requirement is you spend $1200 a year to get this added benefit. They have 180 day return policy.

I have a Target Red Card and there is no amount of money you need to spend to get free shipping. Also, you get 5% discount off all orders and free shipping. They have added Target Circle and you get additional discounts on items.  If you purchase one of their brands, you have a one year return policy.  I really like Target. They have all updated fashions at a reasonable price. They will give you a credit if an item goes on sale at a lower price within 14 days. They have great customer service.

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@tarytoo wrote:

@tarytoo  I'm not defending the shipping charges you paid, but, you have the ring you wanted and you will have it as the gift you wanted to give.  For me, that would be $7.00 worth of relief. 

@Georgiagrama  @rms1954   @tarytoo 

I understand completely what you're all saying about shipping prices going up, etc, but there's still one thing that often makes it worthwhile  .....  the convenience factor.   I save TIME and GAS COSTS when I can shop online.

My time is valuable and sometimes going to the mall or even to just one store is something I would pay NOT to do.

IMO, It's not any different than ordering take-out for dinner, or having a pizza delivered.  Yes,  you could definitely make a pizza at home cheaper than the delivery cost, but sometimes you just don't want the bother.   

BTW .....  I'm happy to report that I've purchased three holiday gifts on Ebay this year, and each time the seller offered FREE SHIPPING.   And it comes right to my door.  How do you beat that? 

Trusted Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

I'm not suggesting that this is the case with the poster, but some retailers are now "tracking" customers to see how many returns they make vs. the number of items they order.  

It becomes a cost issue if they lose money with return orders. 

I tend to buy items on-line (other then the Q), that have a local store nearby.  That way I can bring any returns to them, especially if damaged in shipping.  It easy for them to confirm the damage and I've never had an issue, just make sure to return within their time frame (most stores are 30-90 days), but some stores have a 7 day return policy like Barnes and Noble, even if purchasing a gift during the holidays - I decided not to buy it based on their return policy and they lost a sale.   That policy have changed since then, but I can understand how some stores have to control the number of returns, especially when you see people returning live Christmas trees after the holiday to stores like Lowes, etc..  and expect all their money back.

I think it's safe to assume that All retailers  track returns and have for many years .
Chronic returners  cost  retailers an enormous amount of money , right up there with  shoplifters and employee theft.    When I worked in retail, at a high end store, during my college  years, this was being done, and that was a few years ago(I'm 46) 🙃

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Oh, I'm right there with you about the shipping charges.  The cost of gas, the inconvience and fighting traffic, the time spent trying to find something.  Nope, I'll pay what I have to pay for shipping.

If I have what I've ordered and I have it in time, I'm happy.  

Honored Contributor

Even QVC is now posting “ no refund or exchange” on items....makes me very wary of buying anything with that on it.
Honored Contributor

I’ve noticed free shipping going away altogether on some sites. I was shopping on Lakeshore Learing and they wanted $13.50 shipping for two very lightweight items. I removed them from my cart and will look elsewhere.