Honored Contributor
Who knew the can of worms that would be opened when that friend of Benjamin's parents uttered the word "plastics" in The Graduate as being the up-and-coming lucrative thing to get into.
Honored Contributor

My county's Executive Board voted to ban all 1-use plastic bags as of 2022. If you choose to use them, you'll be charged 25 cents at the register. Now, I was there for this discussion and it was VERY interesting as all but 1 board member thought it was a great idea. The woman who did not stated these reasons:

1) It will cost the county almost $500,000 to implement this (charged to the county taxpayer).

2) ALL the research the board used was based on a neighboring county who has been doing this for 5 years (their cost was $300,000- the cost increase is dramatic). But they all failed to look at the RESULTS of doing this when it came to whether it helped with the issues stated in this forum regarding plastic bags. Guess what? It DIDN'T.  What it DID DO was bring in lots of $$$$ for the county to spend on projects (that the executives couldn't justify due to lack of funds). People get used to paying the extra money and simply don't care, in the end. 

I sat there and looked over all the material and she was 100% correct. The board still passed it though; can't turn down all that money!!! Word got out just before Christmas about the decision and now there is backlash from the taxpayers regarding their having to foot the bill for it. 

We'll see what happens. Oh, and the person championing this bill also wants to ban ALL PLASTIC BAGS even for garbage, construction, you name it. Poop bags included. These should be some interesting county meetings, let me tell ya.

Honored Contributor

Re: One use plastic bags

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

My county's Executive Board voted to ban all 1-use plastic bags as of 2022. If you choose to use them, you'll be charged 25 cents at the register. Now, I was there for this discussion and it was VERY interesting as all but 1 board member thought it was a great idea. The woman who did not stated these reasons:

1) It will cost the county almost $500,000 to implement this (charged to the county taxpayer).

2) ALL the research the board used was based on a neighboring county who has been doing this for 5 years (their cost was $300,000- the cost increase is dramatic). But they all failed to look at the RESULTS of doing this when it came to whether it helped with the issues stated in this forum regarding plastic bags. Guess what? It DIDN'T.  What it DID DO was bring in lots of $$$$ for the county to spend on projects (that the executives couldn't justify due to lack of funds). People get used to paying the extra money and simply don't care, in the end. 

I sat there and looked over all the material and she was 100% correct. The board still passed it though; can't turn down all that money!!! Word got out just before Christmas about the decision and now there is backlash from the taxpayers regarding their having to foot the bill for it. 

We'll see what happens. Oh, and the person championing this bill also wants to ban ALL PLASTIC BAGS even for garbage, construction, you name it. Poop bags included. These should be some interesting county meetings, let me tell ya.

I have always used the plastic bags I get at the grocery store for scooping cat litter.  Because of this thread I just ordered biodegradable cat litter bags from Amazon.  I also use poop bags for when I walk my dog.  

I have always recycled.  I've thought about switching to biodegradable cat litter bags for a while but didn't do it because of the expense.

If they banned all plastic bags I don't know what we could use instead.  We need them for garbage.  What are they proposing?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Trash bags, which consumers may purchase to replace the carry out bags from grocery stores, actually use more plastic in their composition, as they are generally thicker.  Sales of garbage bags often skyrocket following the bans, as the other type of bag use decreases dramatically.  Small trash bags especially grow in demand for lining waste bins and picking up after dogs.  So, some of the plastic eliminated is offset by the use of the thicker bags.

Paper bag use often surges if allowed under law.  Paper bag use may actually be worse for the environment, requiring the processing of trees, use of large volumes of water, machinery and chemicals.   

Best practices suggest levying a fee.  Some studies show fees on all bags, paper and plastic, may be more effective than a ban.

The New York law is considered "bad practices": by some environmentalists by not imposing a fee.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack She is proposing that people throw their garbage into their bin minus bags and then wash the bins out daily after throwing that garbage into their large, outdoor garbage bin. Now. can you imagine the issue during the hot days of summer with all that exposed garbage? Not to mention the garbage that will be left behind when dumped into the garbage truck? But hey, better than using plastic bags right?

Regarding poop bags: that's great for those who actually care or can AFFORD them.  But we all know that many are not going to bother with special bags that cost more than what they are paying now. Not to mention many don't bother with them at all, so.... the argument to allow dogs to poop everywhere as it's going to break down (while plastic won't) is going to be the new battle cry. Not kidding: I already hear it at HOA meetings by those who argue that leaving their dogs' poop behind is better for the environment than using poop bags. With the county now moving to ban bags, how can you argue against their not picking it up? Again, should be interesting going forward.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Trash bags, which consumers may purchase to replace the carry out bags from grocery stores, actually use more plastic in their composition, as they are generally thicker.  Sales of garbage bags often skyrocket following the bans, as the other type of bag use decreases dramatically.  Small trash bags especially grow in demand for lining waste bins and picking up after dogs.  So, some of the plastic eliminated is offset by the use of the thicker bags.

Paper bag use often surges if allowed under law.  Paper bag use may actually be worse for the environment, requiring the processing of trees, use of large volumes of water, machinery and chemicals.   

Best practices suggest levying a fee.  Some studies show fees on all bags, paper and plastic, may be more effective than a ban.

The New York low is considered "bad practices: by some environmentalists by not imposing a fee.

@Johnnyeager   You bring up a good point.  When regular grocery bags are banned, there is an uptick in the purchase of trash bags.

But some of the smaller trash bags, such as the wastebasket size, are not as thick (usually) as the large trash bags. 

However, the small plastic bags are the most numerous, washing up on beaches, harming wildlife, blocking draining and sewer systems, etc.

You see more store brand plastic bags than you see large trash bags-which are most often ending up in landfills and other trash disposal units.

There has to be a balance; there will always be people who don't give a flying fig and want all the convenience; and there will always be people who go to the extreme end, wanting all plastic gone.

Paper bags have a downside, too.  As well as cotton/canvas bags.

With an ever growing population around the globe, there has to be a common sense approach to the issue because the earth, water and land, is being choked.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I suspect that when my supply of bags runs out I would purchase the smallest sized trash bag I can find, since I generate very little that needs to be disposed off.

In New York I will still get them if I go to lunch for a salad or sandwich at the delis, and those are very small and suit my needs.

Respected Contributor
@sahmlam, what expenses made up the implementation costs?
Respected Contributor
I very rarely bring home a plastic grocery bag, but I also rarely buy trash bags for the small trash cans. There’s currently a paper bag from Chipotle in the downstairs bathroom and the plastic bag from a jumbo package of toilet paper in the upstairs bathroom. I can always find something to reuse.
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam   I can't imagine living like that.  That sounds awful.  Also, I can't stand it when someone lets their dog poop in my yard and doesn't pick it up.  I would never do that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau