Honored Contributor

Re: One use plastic bags

[ Edited ]

@tucsongal wrote:

I wash and reuse Ziploc type bags but I’m starting to see bags that I think are made of silicone that last forever. Does anyone use these and do you like them?

@tucsongal   I've seen the brand Stasher at market.  They are expensive but I guess with the reuse the cost evens outs.

I looked at them but some reviews said that the zip-lock doesn't always seal properly.

I use glass containers myself with non-BPA lids. 

I might give them a try but I want to research more on how the production affects other factors and how safe silicone really is.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

It's always bothered me that we went from paper bags to plastic bags.  While paper bags are not as good as reusable carry your own bags, it's still a product that will designate and trees can be grown.

My ex-son-in-law (phew a lot of dashes) and his family own a huge tree farm in the US.  There's a science to growing trees, etc.

Anyway, no one seemed to think about what is/was driving this plastic bag thing.  Oil is needed to make plastic bags..Duh! Pick one!........

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=is+oil+used+in+making+a+plastic+bag&fr=yset_widemail_chr_win&type=...

The problem I have with using bags I bring in is that my food gets squished, well..you name it.  As they try to fit these groceries into the bag, I stand there and TRY to rearrange them so the groceries aren't destroyed before I get home.

I've bought so many different bags to use....nothing works well.  I think it's because they don't have square bottoms (like making it easy (easier) to pack the food.  Another subject/another time.

Most of the baggers I talk to have never been taught how to bag the food.  The young males have no idea what's cold and where to put various items.

So, I feel like I always have a choice...do I want to bring my own bags and have the groceries thrown in them...do I want to end up with as many as 10-15 (yes, that many) plastic bags?

Lots of time people think things can be recycled, but they'd be surprised at how many thing ARE NOT recyclable.

Honored Contributor

My daughter started using snack bags made of cloth for her little ones

that can be washed, instead of plastic snack bags.

I thought what a great idea!

But what are biodegradable bags for dog and cat stuff? That is what I use

the plastic bags for. If they are put in trash aren't they burned like everything else?

I would like to know alternatives.

I do use metal straws when I need a straw which is never.

Well I'll go off and google it.

But I bet some have some good answers we can all use.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor
I much
prefer sturdy reusable to thin, one-use plastic ones. The ones they use in grocery stores can hold only a few items so you end up using more...the problem gets bigger instead of smaller. The reusable ones hold more and are great for bringing in from the car in just one or 2 trips. I dislike any cloth bags as they don’t have flat bottoms or gussetted sides so everything ends up in a pile in the bag. They banned the one-use plastic bags here last year but ended the ban within a few weeks. People would forget to bring their own bags and go nuts when they were charged a dime for the regular ones. Sprouts even gives you a credit if you have your own bags...doesn’t QVC sell reusable bags in sets? I have seen them in the past.
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

My daughter started using snack bags made of cloth for her little ones

that can be washed, instead of plastic snack bags.

I thought what a great idea!

But what are biodegradable bags for dog and cat stuff? That is what I use

the plastic bags for. If they are put in trash aren't they burned like everything else?

I would like to know alternatives.

I do use metal straws when I need a straw which is never.

Well I'll go off and google it.

But I bet some have some good answers we can all use.

@on the bay   You can find the biodegradagle bags for cat litter etc on-------you guessed it.........Amazon.

We do not have pets anymore so I cannot attest to which brand works the best.  I'm sure there are plenty of reviews.

Esteemed Contributor

What alternative would you use for disposing of human waste, for example, diapers.  They usually are put in plastic bags, like medical supplies that are not a biohazard.  The small dog poop bags are too small for that task.

I find that I reuse plastic bags but I see the recycle bin at the grocery filled all the time, so some people are recycling.  If you can make a dog waste bag biodegradable, why not a grocery bag?

Esteemed Contributor

Have you checked Amazon?   I couldn't find the little ones called Baggie(s)...........good for bread from drying out.....

Reviews on "A" all said the same thing....where did they go? No stores carry them anymore.  I bought a case.

Honored Contributor

Ok I just read that biodegradable bags decompose without oxygen creating a methane gas that has a higher warming (21%) which contributes even more to "global warming,"

Some sites say biodegradable can decompose in salt water and others say that they Do Not decompose in marine environments.

Jeez, what to do?!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor
It’s more difficult to make a biodegradable grocery bag than a biodegradable dog poop bag because groceries are heavier than a standard pile of dog poop.

I find the excuses for not using reusable shopping bags laughable. I’ve been using them for at least 15 years with no adverse effects.
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Ok I just read that biodegradable bags decompose without oxygen creating a methane gas that has a higher warming (21%) which contributes even more to "global warming,"

Some sites say biodegradable can decompose in salt water and others say that they Do Not decompose in marine environments.

Jeez, what to do?!

@on the bay   That is why we stick to glass containers and reuse paper bags from market along with some "designer" store bags.

There are quite a few studies out there that conclude the emission of gasses from biodegradable bags are less than those of plastic bags.

They are not the cure-all but less is always better.

Since we don't use them I cannot attest one way or another.

Unfortunately while we may be controlling the problem, the BILLIONS OF TONS of plastic already out there causing damage will take a long, long time to reverse.