Respected Contributor

@new nickname 4 wrote:

Rockycoast 56, I go to the grocery store once a week, or less.  I usually have 3 bags total after I do my shopping, I don't put large items such as detergent, large paper products etc in a bag.  So that leaves me with 1 bag of meat products, one for bread products, and one for canned goods/fresh veegetables.

On the other hand, mom's go through many more diapers a day.

If people would dispose of their bags and trash properly, with a garbage service, those bags or trash wouldn't be littering the waterways.  Our garbage disposal companies have local government inspected dumps where they are buried.  Maybe your service just dumps them on top of the ground, otherwise I can't see how bags of garbage end up in the oceans and beaches.  I believe those pictures are exaggerated.  

So, I am doing my part, I don't use a lot of single use bags, and I dispose of them properly.  

People who are smug with their attitudes of "I'm doing my part" are laughable.

@new nickname 4   In regard to your comment that Cakers photos were exaggerated, you obviously have not volunteered on a beach or mountain trail clean up day. We have those multiple times a year in our town and the surrounding areas. The amount of trash collected at our 5 beaches and 4 trails would boggle the mind. Plastic being a major contributor to the piles. Cakers trashed beach/ocean photos being exaggerated, not in the least.  They are a good representation of what is happening in our enviroment.

I am happy to live in a town that values the enviroment and helping and encourgaging townspeople to recycle and find better ways to do things. High school students started the movement to ban single use bags and the ban on polystyrene. It is part of their Senior year Civics class. Students must study a problem our town is having and work towards ways to help fix it.  Another group is studying ways to help people compost more, Reduce the amount of household trash that goes out to the curb for weekly pick up. After all, our town is charged by total weight picked up by the waste removal company.  Less weight means less money paid out. More money in our town coffers.

There are companies making paper products(towels, toilet paper,etc.) with bamboo instead of cutting down trees. Instead of the plastic produce bags, clear reusable Mesh bags for produce that can scan the bar code on the apple, tomato, etc. right through the bag.  So many different alternatives to plastics if we just take a look.  

Oh, and I haven't changed my mind. Not doing something because of what someone else isn't doing....just an excuse.

Honored Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:
The posters who commented on the bacteria were right on. Those who've missed that pesky fact can simply tap into in random samplings of reusable bags. That's hardly a surprise. Those who claim to launder them after every use are lying, and the samplings bear that out.

Also, consider the number of posters who sniff that they keep their bags in the car, in the trunk, etc. (Great for bacterial growth. 👍) THAT is what's really happening.

So make sure you have your bags with you, because you can add them to the list of gross things people don't want to share with others, even if they don't admit it. As germ-ridden as yours are, theirs are probably worse.😳

@Moonlady, you may or may not be accurate as to the bacteria problem. As far as I'm concerned, though, bacteria is everywhere. I've been using reusable bags for years now. I will admit to rinsing them out occasionally and sometimes spraying them with Lysol. No ill effects. My family is quite healthy.

Just one more excuse, as I see it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland