Esteemed Contributor

Just curious, does anyone know why the small plastic ONE USE PLASTIC BAGS are being eliminated.  In my case the so called one use is not one use.

1.  Line my trash cans

2.  wrap  wet clothing

3.  secure items that could melt or drip

4.  wrap  items to travel  with in my luggage

AMONG OTHER USES

One wonderful afternoon my Milk was not wrapped in one coming from the grocery store. The milk fell over in the trunk after a quick stop and you guessed it.  That was a fun way to spend part of the afternoon.  Had it been wrapped... problem solved. 

I don't improperly discard them.  I don't toss them out my car window to the wind.  No idea why they are such a menace.  What is next?   

Honored Contributor

One use, two uses - doesn't matter they are still ending up in the regular trash.   

Unless you take them back to the store and put them in the bins they provide for them no other recycling service wants them.

Honored Contributor

Re: One use plastic bags

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu   They are being eliminated because of this:

Image result for plastic bags

And these are just the tip of the iceberg.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

Re: One use plastic bags

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu 

Are you talking about shopping bags, or are you including things like Zip-lock bags, Hefty garbage bags, dog poop pick-up bags, etc.?  I had heard many places were working to eliminate the shopping bags, but am unaware that it goes beyond that point.  Has it expanded to all one-use plastic bags?  What other options are being sold to deal with containment & disposal of garbage, dog poop, cat litter, etc.?

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@bonnielu   You can get crates to store your items that may spill to keep them safe and stable.

How did we manage with just paper bags?  We did.

And now reusuable bags are wonderful; a quick wipe if something leaks and good to go again.

It's all about convenience now; people really need to understand that these bags have caused serious harm to our environment; to wildlife; and even to humans.

A little extra effort will benefit all of us.

Honored Contributor

@Havarti   There are biodegradable bags for cat litter and dog poo.

There are alternatives to the plastic zip-lock bags out there, too.

If one must use the plastic ones, they can be recycled.

It's all about taking the effort to find the alternative and/or recycle what you will not longer use.

Esteemed Contributor

I am VERY proud that they are totally banned in my state.  We also usually have a small charge for paper.

Get over it and buy your own bags.  Joanns has a cloth ones that can be washed.

Honored Contributor

All of our grocery stores sell reusable 'cloth' bags with their logo for next to nothing (.99-$1.99).

I haven't used plastic grocery bags in years.

Paper grocery bags are still available here at no charge, you just have to ask for them.

At least the paper ones are biodegradable.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I wash and reuse Ziploc type bags but I’m starting to see bags that I think are made of silicone that last forever. Does anyone use these and do you like them?

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

All of our grocery stores sell reusable 'cloth' bags with their logo for next to nothing (.99-$1.99).

I haven't used plastic grocery bags in years.

Paper grocery bags are still available here at no charge, you just have to ask for them.

At least the paper ones are biodegradable.

@KingstonsMom   And you can reuse the paper ones; we have a stash we bring each time we shop.  Eventually handles or other wear makes them unusable but they also do not have to be one-use.