Esteemed Contributor

Re: One of the best introductions to classical music

@Harpa wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

Can anyone recommend a favorite classical CD? A 'Best Of'or a personal favorite? An introduction to classical music is fine too. I've been wanting to build a library of it and don't know where to start. 

@itsmetoo

Anything from the London Philharmonic would be great!

50-Greatest-Pieces-Classical

@itsmetoo I agree with @Harpa. The 50 Greatest and also "50 Great Momets in Opera" give you a good overview. Then you can decide which composers you prefer.Also, if you have Pandora or similar, you can listen to a Classical station and make note of the pieces you find interesting.

Esteemed Contributor

@trenet wrote:

@spud188 wrote:

Sadly the only classical music that is familer to me is from childhood Bugs Bunny Cartoons.  

@spud188

”What’s Opera Doc?”  is one of the best cartoons ever;  Chuck Jones was a Master.

@trenet and @spud188 so true! Also, we sometimes don't even notice the great pieces incorporated into some of our favorite movies. How about "Grand Canyon Suite" in A Christmas Story? 

Respected Contributor

For the first time I listened to Ravel's Pavane for a Dead Princess a few minutes ago.  Oh my, that was beautiful, the calm of it lingers.  I heard loss, love and eternity in it. 

Chopin is the only classical music I've ever purchased.  I love listening to any classical music that makes the heart soar or the spirit float.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I adore the music from the 50s and 60s, when I'm alone I'm usually listening to classical music or opera.

Some of my favorites are Beethoven's Sonata 8, Pathetique (9:55 starts my favorite part)

Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No, 1 in B flat minor played by Van Cliburn.

Puccini's Turandot is my favorite opera and the best performance of Nessun Dorma is by Pavarotti. (this is fom the movie Yes, Gorgio)

I also love Cavalleria Rusticana by Mascagni.  Intermezzo is one of the most beautiful songs ever.

Esteemed Contributor

Vivaldi's The Four Seasons is ever pleasant too, @itsmetoo.

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another good intro would be a The Piano Guys. Find them on YouTube. They do mashups of classical with popular tunes, like Frozen song with Vivaldi, or Dave Matthews Band with Beethoven’s Ode to Joy, or Jackson 5 with Mozart. They do videos where they take a baby grand piano to places like The Great Wall of China or cliff tops at RedRocks.

Check them out, I guarantee you will be enchanted, and you willl get a soft intro to classical music at the same time!

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

While I adore the music from the 50s and 60s, when I'm alone I'm usually listening to classical music or opera.

Some of my favorites are Beethoven's Sonata 8, Pathetique (9:55 starts my favorite part)

Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No, 1 in B flat minor played by Van Cliburn.

Puccini's Turandot is my favorite opera and the best performance of Nessun Dorma is by Pavarotti. (this is fom the movie Yes, Gorgio)

I also love Cavalleria Rusticana by Mascagni.  Intermezzo is one of the most beautiful songs ever.

@lulu1 Yes, yes, yes and yes! Also, nearly everything by Rachmaninoff. I like the Russians as much as the Italians. The Intermezzo was my dad's and grandfather's favorite. They were impossible romantics. Speaking of romantic, how about Saint Saens' The Swan from Carnival of the Animals?

Respected Contributor

Now I may be way off but The Lone Rangers music. Long time ago. 

Respected Contributor

@Catiele wrote:

Now I may be way off but The Lone Rangers music. Long time ago. 

@Catiele

Rossini's William Tell Overture

Respected Contributor

Thank you Lulu. I was about to look it up.