Honored Contributor

Re: One of the best introductions to classical music

we are lucky to have a wonderful symphony orchestra in our city. i am also lucky to have been raised appreciating many forms of music.....both to listen to and to play.

i have two pieces of classical music that i reach for time and time again.

the brandenburg concertos in six parts (js bach) and vivaldis four seasons in four parts.'

@suzyQ3i will go back and listen to your selection. Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I always wonder how some people grew up without being grounded in classical music. So sad. There was never a time when I didn't love it. I still play and practice daily. 

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3Those of us who are trained in music sure appreciate your Dvorak! Thank you for your post!

So many great art pieces, aren't there?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: One of the best introduction to classical music

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@suzyQ3 I share your love of symphonic music, especially classical. I was raised on it. My dad used to quiz us on various aspects of pieces as he played them. I'm a sap when it comes to the Romantic music and 19th C. Italian opera. But I sometimes feel like a one note Johnny when it comes to popular music. I have not enjoyed it since the late 70's. I want to be well-rounded musically, but I just can't get it. 

@PA Mom-mom

The hardest thing for me to teach (music courses at community college) is appreciation. I don't know that I teach it, but I allow it. I give back stories (a lot!) but students make up their own minds as to whether or not they like it!

On any given day, not all genres tug at us as individuals, and there are so many reasons for that.

Respected Contributor

I LOVE classical music.  When I was a very young child and got my first record player,  several of the records I received were Introduction to Classical Music.  They had many bands of various music and composers, and each band was about 2 mins.  I still remember those albums today with the busts of the composers on the cover!

When my husband goes out,  he will often leave a classical station on for our dog.

Esteemed Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

Can anyone recommend a favorite classical CD? A 'Best Of'or a personal favorite? An introduction to classical music is fine too. I've been wanting to build a library of it and don't know where to start. 

@itsmetoo

Anything from the London Philharmonic would be great!

50-Greatest-Pieces-Classical

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3  Wagner's Overture and the love theme for his Tristan und Isolde is some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard, as well as Ravel's Pavane for a Dead Princess.

I pretty much only listen to classical music of the Baroques and 18 th centuries. DH said I was never meant to try and function in the 21st century.

I dont own or use a cell phone, so I assume that iswhat DH is refferring to.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you @suzyQ3 @maestra @Harpa @sunshine45 and everyone else who gave me some suggestions.  The CD you recommended, Harpa, is one I already own.  Glad to hear I made a good choice.  Many thanks all.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was not raised listening to classical music, but I do enjoy 

listening to some composers.  If I do look for recommendations, I ask my DD.  She began studying piano at a very young age and continued until the end of high school.  To this day, she enjoys going to symphony performances and has treated her mama to performances of the Russian ballet.  

My SIL goes with her often, but would rather be at home watching football than the ballet.

I don't claim to know anything about classical music, but I know what I like.  Anything light and uplifting.  And I love older popular music, as well.  I am more a "visual" person, and my biggest love is art and going to art museums.

Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@suzyQ3  Wagner's Overture and the love theme for his Tristan und Isolde is some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard, as well as Ravel's Pavane for a Dead Princess.

I pretty much only listen to classical music of the Baroques and 18 th centuries. DH said I was never meant to try and function in the 21st century.

I dont own or use a cell phone, so I assume that iswhat DH is refferring to.

@maestra, another one of my very favorites.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland